Takata Airbag Safety Recall

Yeah, the last thing you want in a collision is a chest full of shrapnel. :messedup:

Neither of our Toyotas are on the list, fortunately.

How far back do they issue recalls?

I tried googling, but I couldn't find an answer. I found a database of recalls from the last 15 years, but I mean, I assume Mark isn't in any danger of getting a recall notice on his '65 Chevy.

I have gotten a couple on my 2000 Ranger, but not in the last few years. Do they just go back 15 years or so, or is more a factor of "how many of that model is still on the road?" Or, is it simply a matter of "by the time the car is 15 years old, all of the safety recalls for it have already been realized, so the likelihood of a new one coming out is pretty slim."

No Hyundai's either so we're cool.

Now if only Hyundai would engineer a fix the persistent slow brake fluid leak in my car! They actually sent me a notice that I would get a recall notice as soon as they find a fix.

How far back do they issue recalls?

I tried googling, but I couldn't find an answer. I found a database of recalls from the last 15 years, but I mean, I assume Mark isn't in any danger of getting a recall notice on his '65 Chevy.

I have gotten a couple on my 2000 Ranger, but not in the last few years. Do they just go back 15 years or so, or is more a factor of "how many of that model is still on the road?" Or, is it simply a matter of "by the time the car is 15 years old, all of the safety recalls for it have already been realized, so the likelihood of a new one coming out is pretty slim."
Manufacturers are required by law to maintain a supply of parts and support for the " continued safe operation" of a vehicle for 10 years from date of manufacture...after that you are on your own, except in instances of neglect by the manufacturer...

In the case of this recall the liability is falling on Takata, not GM, Toyota etc...Takata is voluntarily recalling their product, mainly, I believe, to continue their relationship with the manufacturers...

Also, this recall is being concentrated on subtropical areas where they are subjected to constant humidity...apparently the moisture is causing unexpected deployment, which is also causing shrapnel injuries to passengers.

Also, this recall is being concentrated on subtropical areas where they are subjected to constant humidity...apparently the moisture is causing unexpected deployment, which is also causing shrapnel injuries to passengers.

I don't live in a subtropical area but if my car has one of these airbags (which it seems to based on a quick search), I want it replaced anyway. If my neck is literally on the line, if the thing is prone to failure, it's prone to failure no matter what the weather.

My Honda is on the list but I had it looked at about 9 months ago and it didn't have one of the bad airbags.

Back