Hot or Not? Syd Barrett content

I think that guitar is 30+ years removed from being relevant any more, even as a conversation piece, but I'm glad you like it.

If I saw someone playing that, I wouldn't even draw the connection to Syd/The Pink Floyd.

As for Syd, I agree he was instrumental in the early Floyd sound, but thank God most of the early Floyd sound left when he did.

Most of his shit was pretty fucking awful.

You pretty much HAVE to be on drugs to enjoy this shit-sandwich.

I think this might be the last song Syd actually played on with PF. (It might even be Syd and Gilmour on over-dubs at this point.)

I'd argue you have to be on drugs NOT to get the appeal. But go ahead and pass the grass, mate. :embarrassed:

Jimmy Page added mirrors in 1967 to his Tele as a tribute to his friend Syd Barrett before stripping the finish and coming up with the iconic Dragon Telecaster in 1968.
jimmy_page_telecaster_syd_barrett%2B%25282%2529.jpg

pagetele.jpg

This thread had me listening to the live sides of Ummagumma at work today, I would take it over DSOTM, The Wall and The Final Cut.

This thread had me listening to the live sides of Ummagumma at work today, I would take it over DSOTM, The Wall and The Final Cut.
The Final Cut makes me want to make that cut to the carotic.

I prefer The Final Cut to anything with Barrett. :embarrassed:

To be fair though, The Final Cut is not a Floyd album. It's a Waters solo album with Gilmour on guitar.
Soundwise though, probably the best they ever did.

As for Barrett...his scatterbrain approach never did anything for me. Then again, I've never done drugs so that may have something to do with it....

I'm a Floyd fan but of the Gilmore years.
However, I am sick to death of hearing them on the radio every single day, 10 times a day. So I end up turning the station when I hear them.

I think the Final Cut as Waters trying hard to write a "hit" PF album, copying past songs that were successes. Comes across forced and shallow. I haven't owned a copy since '90 or so, it was that forgettable.

I do, however, still have my 45 of "When the Tigers Broke Free" that they labeled "taken from the album The Final Cut."

Last edited:
I think the Final Cut as Waters trying hard to write a "hit" PF album, copying past songs that were successes. Comes across forced and shallow. I haven't owned a copy since '90 or so, it was that forgettable.

I do, however, still have my 45 of "When the Tigers Broke Free" that they labeled "taken from the album The Final Cut."
As usual, you don't have a clue what you're talking about..

Do society and your loved ones,(If you have any), a favor and stop talking..........

"Do you do a lot of drugs, Danny?"
"Yes. Yes, I do."
"Good. Good! That's good for a young man ..."

Barrett was a wonderful musician, and I have had great enjoyment from some of his work. The guitar is a great idea -- really like it. IIR, Syd wanted to reflect the lights at the audience ... he could be fairly aggressive.

By far my favorite "Syd can be a real dick" story is his bringing a new song, "Have You Got It?" to rehearsal at a point where he was already feeling Brian-Jones'd out of the band. It was essentially unlearnable, with insane amounts of changes of timing, chords, etc. After a good deal of painful and frustrating time spent trying to learn his new opus, it gradually dawned on the other band members that - albeit through a real song - he was completely fucking with them, and the title was a pointed, unironic dig at them. They hadn't got it, at all.

God love Syd Barrett, and all who ride with him.

On a separate note, I feel sorrow for those who have never dropped acid (yes, the kids still do it) and enjoyed watching the sunset breathe C#maj7 into the back of your breakfast eyeballs, while the whales all watch and laugh, laugh, laugh.

You really missed out.

Back