Hot or Not? Syd Barrett content

bsman

b00b
I don't know what you guys think, but I've had a crush on this for decades. From what I understand, he essentially shrink-wrapped an Esquire body with silver mylar (or a similar material) and then glued on the shiny metal discs. I would have loved to have been able to see what this looks like under the lights, but alas was but a mere stripling when "the band he was in started playing different tunes"...

Syd+Barrett+Mirrored+Esquire+1.jpg

Syd+Barrett+Mirrored+Esquire.jpg

Syd+Barrett+Mirrored+Esquire+5.jpg

Historically significant Telecaster (Esquire) holds less interest for me than a new '60's Baja Tele in Faded Sonic Blue.

Syd is undoubtedly important to the development of an amazing band and I know quite a few folks that feel like they were never as good following his departure. His musical stylings, however, never struck my fancy.

Syd is undoubtedly important to the development of an amazing band and I know quite a few folks that feel like they were never as good following his departure. His musical stylings, however, never struck my fancy.

His contributions are quirky, and often wide of the target, but when it works, it's pretty magical. About 40 years ago, listening to "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" on headphones at 2:embarrassed:0 am coming down from a chemically-induced vacation from reality was practically a religious experience for me...

I think that guitar is 30+ years removed from being relevant any more, even as a conversation piece, but I'm glad you like it.

If I saw someone playing that, I wouldn't even draw the connection to Syd/The Pink Floyd.

As for Syd, I agree he was instrumental in the early Floyd sound, but thank God most of the early Floyd sound left when he did.

Most of his shit was pretty fucking awful.

You pretty much HAVE to be on drugs to enjoy this shit-sandwich.

I think this might be the last song Syd actually played on with PF. (It might even be Syd and Gilmour on over-dubs at this point.)

Last edited:
^^^^^What is this blasphemy?*

*snorts acid

Well, now we know who's dropped acid and who hasn't before. :wink:

My religious PF experience came during WYWH's Shine On You crazy Diamond.
A Song about Syd, but not written or performed by Syd, but Syd was in the studio at the time of the recording, so let that blow your mind for a while.

I think that guitar is 30+ years removed from being relevant any more, even as a conversation piece, but I'm glad you like it.

If I saw someone playing that, I wouldn't even draw the connection to Syd/The Pink Floyd.

As for Syd, I agree he was instrumental in the early Floyd sound, but thank God most of the early Floyd sound left when he did.

I think this might be the last song Syd actually played on with PF. (It might even be Syd and Gilmour on over-dubs at this point.)

I guess I am still on drugs then.

You liked the Solomon Guitars "The Ambler" GPOTD: /your credibility...

Acid absorbs 47 times its weight in excess reality...

Acid is awful for your brain.
Just like Syd's music.
:lol:

Nah, it's cool if you like that really early PF stuff. Me? I never cared much for it.
But to each their own.
I DO think it is a shame what happened to him. (See that comment about Acid being awful for your brain above.)

People with a borderline mental illness should definitely not drop Acid.
(Does anybody still do LSD anymore? I have no idea.......oh those crazy kids these days!)

As for the guitar, if you like it, you should make yourself one.

You could stand onstage and slowly de-tune it throughout the set, or just play one chord, over and over and over and over.....:wink:

Or, just stop playing it altogether and just stand there.

Acid is awful for your brain.
Just like Syd's music.

Nah, it's cool if you like that really early PF stuff. Me? I never cared much for it.
But to each their own.
I DO think it is a shame what happened to him. (See that comment about Acid being awful for your brain above.)

People with a borderline mental illness should definitely not drop Acid.
(Does anybody still do LSD anymore? I have no idea.......oh those crazy kids these days!)

As for the guitar, if you like it, you should make yourself one.

You could stand onstage and slowly de-tune it throughout the set, or just play one chord, over and over and over and over.....:wink:

Or, just stop playing it altogether and just stand there.

I'll take post Syd Floyd over Floy with Syd, but I still like some of the Syd stuff. Oddly, I didn't really care for it when I was younger and doing drugs :grin:. It wasn't until a few years ago that I started to appreciate Syd's work.

I'll take post Syd Floyd over Floy with Syd, but I still like some of the Syd stuff. Oddly, I didn't really care for it when I was younger and doing drugs :grin:. It wasn't until a few years ago that I started to appreciate Syd's work.

I think pretty much everybody acknowledges that post-Syd Floyd developed a much more polished oeuvre, but there is something to me rather urgent and unrelenting that attracts me -- much like Robert Quine's solos (especially on the Voidoids record) really registers with me on an almost cellular level.

I'm a big fan of the psychedelic PF epics, including Barrett-era Astronomy Domine, Interstellar Overdrive, Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, as well as Careful with the Axe Eugene, etc.

But I was NOT a fan of the Barrett-era singles-length songs like Bike.

If I had to pick a couple of PF albums over all others it would be Meddle and Atom-Heart Mother (with a nod to Animals), even over WYWH, The Wall, etc.

By far my least favorite PF album (not counting the recent "outtakes album) was the craptacular The Final Cut.

All you m'fers must be on drugs.

There are some genuinely awful early Pink Floyd songs, that's for sure.

But hey, you can listen to whatever in the world you want. :wink:

Back