Sweden succeeds where Britain fails. Meet Trainy McTrainface.

'Mc' is a Scottish thing, isn't it?

So, shouldn't a Swedish train be something more along the lines of Trainy von Trainface? (yeah, I know 'von' is a German title, but there are Swedish families with the 'von' as well).

So, shouldn't a Swedish train be something more along the lines of Trainy von Trainface? (yeah, I know 'von' is a German title, but there are Swedish families with the 'von' as well).
McDonald's was founded by a guy whose last name is Kroc.

Let that one sink in for a bit...

McDonald's was founded by a guy whose last name is Kroc.

Let that one sink in for a bit...

Actually, it was the McDonald brothers who founded McDonalds, devised the simple menu and assembly-line process and even designed buildings specifically for their purposes (and began franchising). Kroc came on and simply expanded on the basic concept, but he didn't found much of anything. He was more of a huckster.

Actually, it was the McDonald brothers who founded McDonalds, devised the simple menu and assembly-line process and even designed buildings specifically for their purposes (and began franchising). Kroc came on and simply expanded on the basic concept, but he didn't found much of anything. He was more of a huckster.
Semantics.

Ray Kroc built McDonald's. The couple rinky dink hamburger stands he built upon would have just been hamburger stands had he not done so.

Anyway. Huckster?

Ray and his wife Joan Kroc were the biggest philanthropists in San Diego, and among the biggest in the country. They poured countless millions of their own money into some incredibly wonderful programs and charities. Google the "Ronald McDonald House" or "Red Shoe Day" for a couple of examples. Joan carried that on for decades after Ray died, right up until her own final day. She built shelters for battered women and children, and so many other badly needed facilities.

They were both extremely humble people. At the cemetery where my mother, father, sister, and grandfather are entombed, Ray and Joan are side by side in a simple mausoleum crypt on the outside wall where the sun has dulled the brass grave marker to being almost unreadable. No lavish, enclosed family crypt, no "prime" spot. Nothing to distinguish it from the thousands of others. I think "Huckster" is a bit unfair.

Mc ,Mac is also Irish. It means "son of"

Back