WTF: Surprise wedding

jbj

Poor old Geordie's array...
So I just got an enquiry through from a girl who wants me to DJ at a party later in the year (fwiw 90+% of all of my gigs are weddings and apart from word of mouth, the only place I advertise is in a nationwide wedding directory and its website so I never get "random" enquiries from someone googling for a local DJ...

Because of this and the fact she was being a bit cagey with the details I asked her what this "party" was for.

She went on to explain that she and her fiance are going abroad in September and he and their friends are under the impression that they're getting married whilst there and this "party" is going to be some sort of pre wedding reception type deal.

Little does he know is that this "party" is actually a surprise wedding!!!

I've heard stories of guests turning up to things only to be told it's a wedding but THE GROOM TOO?

I'm thinking this could be allllllllllllll kinds of akward.

Of course being a total sell out I happilly gave her a quote :embarrassed:

:lol: :thu:

If they're already engaged it shouldn't be a big deal. It'd be a whole different story if they hadn't breached the subject yet :eek:

:lol: :thu:

If they're already engaged it shouldn't be a big deal. It'd be a whole different story if they hadn't breached the subject yet :eek:

I dunno, I still think it's a bit sketchy.

Myself and my lady friend have spoken about marriage and have both said that if we get to that bridge, we'd do it in Vegas r somewhere fun and "cheap", if I'd to rock up to what I thought was a party (I'm not even 100% sure the "pre-wedding party" is what she claims to be planning) and she was standing there in a dress in front of all of our friends I'd be mortified and pissed off.

Wife and I got married because we won more than $5 on a scratcher lotto ticket, so keep that in mind when I speak of marriage stuff :embarrassed: Drove up to Reno the next day, was married just before midnight. :grin:

Give her a quote that's a bit higher than your normal, since it's an oddball situation. Not enough to quote it out of the ballpark, but maybe a bit higher.

Give her a quote that's a bit higher than your normal, since it's an oddball situation. Not enough to quote it out of the ballpark, but maybe a bit higher.

One step ahead of you buddy boy.

She's got back saying I sound great, she's just waiting to hear back from 1 other DJ and has asked about adding mood lighting and a gobo monogram so she definitely sounds keen.

I'm all for spontanieity but in this case I feel like it could almost come across as a bit of a cruel joke / forcing his hand.

I'm all for spontaneity but in this case I feel like it could almost come across a cruel joke / forcing his hand.

Fixed. If she goes through with it, I'd give 'em 6 mo. Once manipulation enters the picture, it starts to circle the drain.

It's defintely a bizarre one. As I said, I've heard stories of guests arriving to be told that it's going to be a wedding but one of the couple... even if he's happy to be engaged and thinks the wedding is going ahead abroad later in the year, it has the potential to be a total nightmare.

As an added twist - the wedding directory I advertise with has a fairly expansive forum.

As an advertiser I'm only allowed to post relevant posts in the offers and music forums but I can view all of the rest of them. There's an emotional support forum where soon to be brides vent about their dramas and issues, real or imagined, on a whole host of issues.

There was one poster on it last year who was a complete head case and I used to follow her posts like an online version of Jerry Springer. Inevitably the engagement was called off (apparently it was her idea but I'm sure the groom wasn't too bothered!)

Well as I was browsing today guess what I noticed: an identical avatar to the one she used to use. After a bit of investigating it turns out that this girl has within 6 months of breaking up an engagement, moved in with a new guy (taking her own son and shacking up with him and his daughter) and they're getting married :facepalm:

I'm trying to work out if it's her but when the girl first explained her plan last night I thought - "that sounds like something that mental woman on the forum would do" :eek:

Christ she just sent me a text saying:

Hi Jim, you sound great - if you could do everything (DJ, moodlighting and monogram gobo) for £450 I'll book you.

Ummm I doubt you're going to waltz into a dress shop and say - hey doll if you take 20+% off of that I'll buy it.

I offered her a £20 discount :embarrassed:

Good luck.

Surprise weddings on their own don't strike me as too crazy. I know a few people who have done it with great success, granted they were all somewhat far along in life. All the other info you have shared leads me to believe this might be something different.

Back