Superficial cracks?

PunkKitty

Horny bag of electric meat
I have an opportunity to pick up a used 2000 Heritage H-535 at a very good price. The reason I am hesitating is because of some cracks that the seller described as "superficial" on either side of the neck. Do these look superficial to you? I'm kind of torn.

20160811_145639_zpspdxigsrv.jpg
20160811_145712_zpsefoafway.jpg

I know that neck pocket cracks are pretty common with bolt on guitars. Happens a lot to my music mans and Ibanez guitars. But I’ve never seen something like this without it being significant.

Maybe someone else can chime in though.

Any way to get a mirror in there and check to see that whether the cracks go through the sides? If they're only in the finish, i wouldn't think it's an issue, but if they are through the wood, I'd imagine they are only going to get bigger...

The problem with those cracks is that in a thin nitro finish prospective buyers will assume they’re in the wood. It will make that guitar difficult to resell.

What's grabbing my eye is the way the "crack is on both sides and then runs down the neck joint. Makes me think the guitar had a "superficial" accident that may or may not have required a significant repair. If well repaired, the guitar should be fine, but the price should drop accordingly.

I'm with BS-man, I'd need to see the inside to be sure before I agree, even if the price was significantly lowered.

What's grabbing my eye is the way the "crack is on both sides and then runs down the neck joint. Makes me think the guitar had a "superficial" accident that may or may not have required a significant repair. If well repaired, the guitar should be fine, but the price should drop accordingly.

I'm with BS-man, I'd need to see the inside to be sure before I agree, even if the price was significantly lowered.

Agreed. Looks deeper than finish cracks to me, looks like a crack in the laminated shell.

Yeah, good call. You, like most of us, flip a lot and that might be harder to unload down the road.

What DogsIntoPalc said -- did anyone notice that the 'superficial' cracks seem to match on both sides, and are in a place where if (cough) excessive stress (cough) were placed on the guitar, it might fracture?

I did. Didn't really work for me w/the "Clapotn"

Also I like some of his playing ok, but a lot of it really doesn't move me.

Back