Super Size Me

I'm trying.

I was not tring to imply that you didn't want to change. You had other experiences and an awareness that makes you open to the point this movie makes in a clumsy way. And I agree about the portion control; that is a hard one for all of us trying to lose weight.

That is. I've been working on that especially this week. My doctor just told me recently that if I just ate half of what I normally would I'd be in pretty good shape. :facepalm:

That can't be easy.

it's not.

i have this problem. if i order it, i'm going to eat the entire thing. so if you bring me a rueben from Stage Door Deli, which is a heaping pile of corned beef and saurkraut smothered in swiss cheese, hiding two pieces of rye bread; i'm going to eat every last bite. this whole "well i'm only going to have half" thing just doesn't seem to work.

i have an appointment with a nutritionist on Friday morning.

it's not.

i have this problem. if i order it, i'm going to eat the entire thing. so if you bring me a rueben from Stage Door Deli, which is a heaping pile of corned beef and saurkraut smothered in swiss cheese, hiding two pieces of rye bread; i'm going to eat every last bite. this whole "well i'm only going to have half" thing just doesn't seem to work.

I have recently been able to leave food on the plate at a restaurant, though mostly I try to control the portion before they bring it. Will power is a bitch. :(

Portion control is a bitch. Most of us grew up expected to "clean our plates"...last week i was out on business and I had a chicken pasta dish at J. Alexanders that could have fed my entire family. Then i only ate as much as i could (way too much, but still less then half the portion i was served) and i felt guilty not taking it back to the hotel with me...

But then, if restaurants served small portions god knows we would be bitching about that...its a vicious cycle...

Portion control is really pretty easy for me, although I've been slipping a lot more since I started having health issues again. It becomes more about convenience than it does craving food that's bad for me. After 7 straight hours of lessons with nothing to eat my instant gratification trigger is pulled.

News Flash:

Eating a strict diet of massively unhealthy food is massively unhealthy.

It's a good thing somebody made a movie to point this out.

News Flash:

Eating a strict diet of massively unhealthy food is massively unhealthy.

It's a good thing somebody made a movie to point this out.

Funny how that works out isn't it. I have eaten at a fast food burger joint more than six times in the past five years and exercise on a regular basis.

I'm totally in shock that I'm not overweight and don't have high cholesterol. :cheese:

I remember trying to watch that movie and only making it halfway through because it was so disgusting.

I think of these type of movies as "preaching to the choir" movies. People who agree with the viewpoint will rave over it and those who disagree will rant against it, but no one will have their mind or heart changed by it.

it's not.

And there's a lot of the problem.
Something I've noticed when I've been to the US, is that portions at restaurants and such are really fucking huge (almost double of what you'll typically get over here).
You guys get accustomed/used to eating way more than you actually should. Eat slower and less, and after a few days you should get used to eating smaller portions.
A good trick here is cooking and eating at home rather than restaurants.

That, and typically at least one thing in a course will be fried (Scots are worse though, they'll deep fry anything). For a lot of the stuff you typically have fries with, we here up in Scandinavia-land will often have boiled potatoes and boiled veggies instead - way healthier, and most times every bit as good.

That said, obesity is becoming quite a big problem here as well these days. Most of it due to the combination of eating more and more fast food and little to no exercise.
Which again in most cases is because of too much work/leisure activities and just plain laziness. Guilty as charged (although I'm nowhere near overweight yet). :embarrassed:

And there's a lot of the problem.
Something I've noticed when I've been to the US, is that portions at restaurants and such are really fucking huge (almost double of what you'll typically get over here).

Yeah, that's it. I had trouble cleaning my plate when I was in NYC last year. I didn't find it very difficult to find places where I could get tasty and reasonably healthy food, but damn, it really does seem like Americans have made a sport out of stacking as much onto a plate as possible.

Here's my daily "diet".

First break at work...banana w/ some peanut butter.

Lunch...salad with broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc thrown in. Balsamic dressing. Sliced egg and a little grilled chicken on top.

2nd break...yogurt with a 1/4 cup of ground flaxseed mixed in.

I'm not really hungry at dinner time, so I eat whatever it is the Mrs cooks...a pretty small portion of it. No seconds and no snacks from then on. Sometimes I cave and have some chips n salsa.

repeat mon - fri.

Weekends are way less structured, but I do try to keep the portions small. We don't eat out much at all, so that helps.

I've lost 15 lbs in the past 2 months.

"(Scots are worse though, they'll deep fry anything)"

:mad: :embarrassed:

:embarrassed:

I reckon the abuse we put our bodies through can actually be a good thing. I'm the only person in the whole school that hasn't taken a day off through illness this year.

I reckon our systems take such a battering that when you're eating semi healthilly they're untouchable :grin:

I reckon the abuse we put our bodies through can actually be a good thing. I'm the only person in the whole school that hasn't taken a day off through illness this year.

I reckon our systems take such a battering that when you're eating semi healthilly they're untouchable :grin:

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

All this talk of portion control needs more detail. It's not just the size of the portions that the problem, it's the content. Remember that most fruit and vegetables are virtually fat and calorie free. Even meat isn't too bad as long as it's lean and not deep fried. The BIG problem is all the carbs we surround them with. All that bread, rice and pasta. Also cheese.

You can eat a huge portion of stir fried chicken and vegetables. Eat until you can't force anymore down. It'll still be less calories and fat than a couple of slices of pizza. And whoever stops at just a couple of slices of pizza?

Cutting out carbs is the biggest challenge for me. Mostly bread, Having a sandwich for lunch is just too convenient. Whenever I do completely stay off bread, rice and pasta for a few days I lose weight even if I do no exercise at all.

All this talk of portion control needs more detail. It's not just the size of the portions that the problem, it's the content. Remember that most fruit and vegetables are virtually fat and calorie free. Even meat isn't too bad as long as it's lean and not deep fried. The BIG problem is all the carbs we surround them with. All that bread, rice and pasta.

You can eat a huge portion of stir fried chicken and vegetables. Eat until you can't force anymore down. It'll still be less calories and fat than a couple of slices of pizza. And whoever stops at just a couple of slices of pizza?

Cutting out carbs is the biggest challenge for me. Mostly bread, Having a sandwich for lunch is just too convenient. Whenever I do completely stay off bread, rice and pasta for a few days I lost weight even if I do no exercise at all.

it's a rare occasion that i eat more than two slices of pizza. :shrug:

it's a rare occasion that i eat more than two slices of pizza. :shrug:

I forgot, American pizza's are fucking huge. Still, my point stands :embarrassed:

The other biggie is dressings. I'm sure we're all guilty of having a nice healthy salad then smothering it in dressing :facepalm:

I forgot, American pizza's are fucking huge. Still, my point stands :embarrassed:

I had a pizza in NYC that was about the same diameter as one you'd get in Holland (or Italy, or elsewhere in Europe), but it was just dense. I can eat a whole pizza without difficulty over here, but I couldn't even eat half of that one.

Back