Suhr Classic (Strat)

I really prefer the singles in the US Masters guitar over the APSIIs or even the Kinman AVN '62s in my other Warmoth. I have no idea what kind of pickups they are...if they are stock or aftermarket, what kind of magnets, their resistance, nothing.

I just know I love the way they sound.

Prages said:
I really prefer the singles in the US Masters guitar over the APSIIs or even the Kinman AVN '62s in my other Warmoth. I have no idea what kind of pickups they are...if they are stock or aftermarket, what kind of magnets, their resistance, nothing.

Thats all that really matters, actually....

Prages said:

call and ask them?

helpimarock said:
Prages said:

call and ask them?

I sent them an email and apparently the serial # database was lost a few years ago, so they don't really have much info on the guitars they built a few years back.

And I'm not sure that sending pics of the pickups would help because there are no identifying markings anywhere on the pickups.

You're totally right about "sounding like rock". When I want to do a track that "brings the CHUD" I use doubletracked Lesters as rhythm guitars with heavy drums and bass. It's like marching orders type sound. Strats can be a little light and even though they can scream, it's rare to get the growl like a Les Paul out of a strat.

Its a feel thing for me.

This guitar doesn't feel "rude" enough for me to play a "RAWK" show with. The Paul also has a little more output that I think I relate to on a physical level, too...

Holy thread revival!
Robert Renman sold his Suhr Classic S-S-S not long ago, complaining that it sounded too thin for his needs. He found the tone he was looking for in a Fender American Standard with Custom Shop Fat 50's pickups. YMMV

You're totally right about "sounding like rock". When I want to do a track that "brings the CHUD" I use doubletracked Lesters as rhythm guitars with heavy drums and bass. It's like marching orders type sound. Strats can be a little light and even though they can scream, it's rare to get the growl like a Les Paul out of a strat.
Holy thread revival!
Robert Renman sold his Suhr Classic S-S-S not long ago, complaining that it sounded too thin for his needs. He found the tone he was looking for in a Fender American Standard with Custom Shop Fat 50's pickups. YMMV
Yeah... Different tools for different jobs. Tbh I never play this guitar since I got my McFeely, especially since it has the same pickup set.

Yep.

Tele guitars don't really growl under heavy overdrive - they kind of screech - listen to Roy Buchanan's furious soloing on some of his Atlantic era stuff before "You're Not Alone" where he inexplicably switched to a Les Paul Custom. The searing high end of the tele really pops out in those Buchanan records.

For rhythm a clean-verging-on-mild-overdrive tele is real nice. if someone asked me "a criminal has busted into your studio, what guitar do you use to take the criminals out?" I think a tele would do fabulously since the body is more "slabular" than a strat.

There was a guitar shop about 80 miles from here that I stopped in just for fun and there was a super sweet tele there, the only one that made me want to drop everything and buy it - it wasn't a good time. Of course, next time I went back it was gone. Never saw one that nice again. They make a million, it'l come around.

Holy thread revival!
And I have Fat 50s and they sound weak and thin, but then I'm used to Gravity Storms.

I kinda want that Suhr in the op
I sold it a year or two ago. I realized that both my Suhr's where never getting played once I had my McFeely 454 and I couldn't afford to have that much money tied up in wall decorations. Great guitars, I just didn't need them anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back