Suhr Classic (Strat)

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

This is my Suhr Classic that I ordered in 2002. One of the main reasons for buying this guitar was that I needed something that was very versatile and had super accurate intonation for recording. I had done a few recording sessions earlier in the year where the guitars I had were running into problems either staying in tune or having bad intonation. Not so good when you are getting paid to do a session...

Cost with 30% discount was $2250 in 2002.

Body: 2 piece Alder

Neck: Maple with a rosewood fretboard

Pickups are Suhr v60lp single coils and a Suhr DSV Humbucker in the Bridge.

Hardare is Gotoh 1066 Bridge and Kluson Tuners.

Buzz Feiten Intonation. When the guitar was built Suhr wasn't doing the PLEK setups yet but I had it back to the factory for a setup and they PLEK'ed it in 2006. Best $150 I ever spent. The guitar played better than new when I got it back.

The Feiten intonation is great but a pain if you are switching between guitars and one doesn't have it on a gig as you have to remember to switch modes on your tuner.

When I ordered the guitar I had the opportunity to go to the factory and refine my order with John Suhr. He played a few of the guitars I brought with me, I played a few that were there and we talked about what I wanted. He changed some things about my order around (actually saved me about $100 for the Brazilian Rosewood fretboard I didn't need) and then I waited for 4 months.

I really love the guitar now but when I first got it I was a little disappointed in the thinner neck that I had chosen....for a long time I considered having them put a thicker maple neck on it but I'm glad I didn't as I grew into what I had. My Tele was a much easier build and came out making me happier right off the bat but I think I dig both guitars equally now...here are some clips...

The infamous "Bad Amp Demo"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhfz11vTYsI

Here are a few clips I've never posted before from the CD that goes with our "Rhythm and Groove" class curriculum

80's Rock

markweinguitarlessons.com/soundfiles/06 Track 06.mp3

Funky - the Suhr is the one in the left speaker...the right speaker is my buddies strat with Duncan Lipstick Tube pickups in it for some extra "spank" and to set the two clean guitars apart....

markweinguitarlessons.com/soundfiles/17 Track 17.mp3

Here is the only recording I have of my Top Hat Ambassador 35 with the Suhr.

markweinguitarlessons.com/soundfiles/16 Track 16.mp3

One of my favorite live tones with this guitar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey9frsFHUJM

helpimarock said:
its one of the nicest strats i've ever played. i, however, am not a strat man.

I actually didn't play it for nearly 3 years after I stumbled across my Les Paul...

The problem I find with strats is that when I do rock stuff they generally don't have enough personality for me. On the Felt album we had a "no strats" rule and I think thats one reason why it sounds like an actual "Rock" album.

For the blues and Jazzier things I do it seems to work better, though...

helpimarock said:
so what you're saying is, Suhr guitars have no balls.

Well, you can listen to the clips and judge that for yourself.  I didn't own a Suhr when we made that album but between the two of us we had 6 strats and no desire to play them.

They are a little more refined than I like for rock, though.  I love mine and play them daily but if I need a giant rock sound thats not metal I usually grab my Les Paul.

This is the other amp demo and I play both this Suhr and my Les Paul straight into the amp.  Now that I think about it you've played both guitars, too so you probably know what I'm talking about already  :facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoLcYYI0vyU

Its a feel thing for me.

This guitar doesn't feel "rude" enough for me to play a "RAWK" show with. The Paul also has a little more output that I think I relate to on a physical level, too...

markwein said:
Its a feel thing for me.

This guitar doesn't feel "rude" enough for me to play a "RAWK" show with. The Paul also has a little more output that I think I relate to on a physical level, too...

people say the same thing all the time about PRS. man, i rock the fuck outta my PRS. i dunno what you people are talking about.

idn_smilie

Different tools for different gigs. If my guitars were all the same I could get by with just 2.....

markwein said:
idn_smilie

Different tools for different gigs. If my guitars were all the same I could get by with just 2.....

i agree with that in principle, but the practice of it seems to be what's in question.

obviously its a personal thing. so what works for me isn't what works for you.

when i buy a guitar, obviously i have an idea in mind. i want a certain feel or sound. with guitars like PRS or Suhr, they're appealing to the engineer/corksniffer in us all. you and i bought the guitars because they were done better than their counterparts. you can engineer all the soul right out of a guitar, so there's a balance that we felt these guitars achieved. there's also a "swiss army knife" mentality to both, even though they're very different in the looks department. so we're obviously going for a wide range of tones.

the PRS evokes an LP-ish nature with Strat lines and vibrato. the Suhr offers the best damn Strat you can get, with the thicker tones of a bridge humbucker. but the premise on each is the same, find the sweet spot on the volume knob, flick a switch, and let the guitar work with the amp. so you can really run the gamut of styles on each.

you and i both use pedals for our distortion. so there's a third element here that we can tweak to exactly how we want it. put down a different pedal, and i guarantee your Suhr goes from funk to metal at the stomp of a button and flick of a selector switch. its my assertion that this is why we buy these kinda guitars.

now if we were talking about Rics here, i might agree with you more. yes, Guy Piciotto from Fugazi played one, so we know it can do much more than just jangle. but its not gonna make it in an Iron Maiden tribute band. the Suhr however, will. that's the beauty of the bridge bucker. make it more versatile for modern stylings of rock n roll. and if you really need to, you can also roll off the tone control on the neck pup and play jazz.

"course that's just my opinion, i could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

Makes sense....but I have strats that are "Ballsier" than the Suhr...its a small difference but its important to me...

Back