Suggestions on a new board

Muppet

Cat in the Hat
I'm buying a Line 6 Pod HD500X in a week or so. It won't fit on my current Core board, I don't think. I need some ideas on a new, bigger board. I'm thinking about the big Pedaltrain. I like the angle on it. Is there something else I should be contemplating?

PTProSC-xlarge.jpg

I like and use the Pedaltrain boards, but sometimes I'm not a fan of the "rails" since some smaller pedals don't aways get enough velcro surface space to stay on the board securely.

I think that the PT boards are great if you gig or play away from the house a lot. I have a PT mini (the small board) that I can take up to the barn studio, on road trip's, or to my buddy's house. But since I don't gig, the "big board" was built with maybe $30 in materials to my exact specifications. For example, I don't like more than 2 rows of pedals, so I made it long and relatively narrow. I don't need a case because it never leaves the house. But if you're gigging, I think that the PT is a great way to go if you find one that fits, as they're light, not crazy expensive, and generally come with a case.

I want it on a board because (1) I like the angle towards me, and (2) I will also be using other pedals, such as my amp's footswitch and my MXR Talk Box. I want it all on one. Depending on how much room is left over, I may also add some individual pedals like my Carbon Copy or Tubescreamer. Yes, I know both of those are covered my the Pod, but I like multiple delays, and I've found that the real TS is just a bit more organic. It's the one effect I don't think they do perfectly.

Makes sense...have you laid everything out to determine the area you'll need? From the sounds of it, though, I think pedaltrain may be your only option unless you go custom...

I haven't laid it out yet because I don't have the Pod yet. I'm waiting for something to sell on ebay. It's got a few more days.

I've been using a Boicebox to gig with for the past two years and I absolutely love it!

The tiered model allows the power supply to be hidden below...
pedalboard-boicebox.jpg

I prefer the flat model because I've got XLR and 1/4 cables going in and out from three different sides of the board.
bb5.jpg

I love being able to throw the cover on and carry everything out even in the rain or snow. The bamboo is really strong but much lighter than the other road-case style with all the rivets and metal edges. Plus the bamboo is smooth and doesn't snag the interior of the car.

Reactions: Tig
The Boicebox is gorgeous, but about twice the cost of the PT Pro, and smaller.

Yeah.... if it were a collection of $50 or $100 pedals, I wouldn't spend that much on it... but the PZ pre is like $300... the G-XT was another $200, etc etc. I like them being safe when we load in and load out, and when I used to use a Pedaltrain, the soft bag kept moving all the knobs and switches.

I love my pedaltrain. my voodoo labs power supply is mounted underneath which is nice and neat.

Yeah.... if it were a collection of $50 or $100 pedals, I wouldn't spend that much on it... but the PZ pre is like $300... the G-XT was another $200, etc etc. I like them being safe when we load in and load out, and when I used to use a Pedaltrain, the soft bag kept moving all the knobs and switches.
Ooh, good to know. That would be a pain in the ass if my knobs moved all the time.

Pedaltrain has redesigned their hard cases and gig bags for 2015. They should be out this spring.

Honestly, many of the guys around town get old cases from thrift shops and such... one guy uses a hard case from a trumpet.... and then puts a small plywood and velcro board inside that lifts right out.

IMG_1226.jpg

I just bought Baimun's old Pedaltrain and it's a cool board, but I think I need to bite the bullet and go up to the 2. If you're trying to put an HD500x on it too, you'll definite;ly need the Pro.

Back