Suggestions for low watt tube amps

if you want more gain out of the amp, why do you need low output pickups?

To cop EVH's sound try Duncan Customs. If I remember correctly through a conversation at the Seymour Duncan Factory, that is what he used. Besides his gear, you will need to learn his right and left hand playing technique. That will truly clone you towards the EVH sound. After all tone is in the hands.

Just as an FYI. In the early 80's I was an Eddie freak. Not because of his tapping or leads but because of his rhythm sound. I used to get complimented on it using a Mesa Boogie Mark II, a Mighty Mite strat with Bill Lawrence pickups. Just food for thought.

To cop EVH's sound try Duncan Customs. If I remember correctly through a conversation at the Seymour Duncan Factory, that is what he used. Besides his gear, you will need to learn his right and left hand playing technique. That will truly clone you towards the EVH sound. After all tone is in the hands.

Just as an FYI. In the early 80's I was an Eddie freak. Not because of his tapping or leads but because of his rhythm sound. I used to get complimented on it using a Mesa Boogie Mark II, a Mighty Mite strat with Bill Lawrence pickups. Just food for thought.

Your absolutely right, I need to work on my attack and fingerings badly. Im looking for some sort of instruction but I can take lessons cause of my schedules. I'm looking at fretboard logic. I know it wont help with the feel but you gotta learn it before you make it your own, well atleast that makes sense to me. I do think a lot of it is me and my slack of practice. I really wanna work on my skills and knowledge so SVH can rock a lil at Pragestock next year. Well know a lil more anyway.

That was the second pedal, the first wad the EP Booster. Make sure you watch the second video. He goes through how to get all of those sounds.

That was the second pedal, the first wad the EP Booster. Make sure you watch the second video. He goes through how to get all of those sounds.

Just watched a demo of the bad monkey for 50 bucks that's a helll of a pedal

Your absolutely right, I need to work on my attack and fingerings badly. Im looking for some sort of instruction but I can take lessons cause of my schedules. I'm looking at fretboard logic. I know it wont help with the feel but you gotta learn it before you make it your own, well atleast that makes sense to me. I do think a lot of it is me and my slack of practice. I really wanna work on my skills and knowledge so SVH can rock a lil at Pragestock next year. Well know a lil more anyway.

Instruction really IMO is not the key. You can't EVH's style. You can be taught licks but really needs to come from you. When I was into EVH I would play two albums daily while playing along with them. Those two were Women and Children First and Mean Street.

If you listen and play your favorite discs to death, you will begin to cop his feel and style without trying.

Instruction really IMO is not the key. You can't EVH's style. You can be taught licks but really needs to come from you. When I was into EVH I would play two albums daily while playing along with them. Those two were Women and Children First and Mean Street.

If you listen and play your favorite discs to death, you will begin to cop his feel and style without trying.

I understand that I'm looking for something to teach me I Have no knowledge. This just for me to learn a lil bit. I understand that finding tone will come with practice now but I not only need to practice but I need to learn to. Just lookin for suggestion bra

I understand that I'm looking for something to teach me I Have no knowledge. This just for me to learn a lil bit. I understand that finding tone will come with practice now but I not only need to practice but I need to learn to. Just lookin for suggestion bra

Get with Mark. Even if it's only every few months. You need a good foundation to get where you want to go.

I'll get with him and see what we can do.

Get with Mark. Even if it's only every few months. You need a good foundation to get where you want to go.

What Reverend said. Mark is a great teacher and he can do it via Skype. Join the group classes the Rev has as well as HIAR.

Me, I was purely self taught and it was a long road. Of the few lessons I had, it was in Classical Guitar, a little jazz and Hawaiian Slack Key. I used buy tons of books from the music store, it can get overwhelming. I spent many hours with a record player - yes a record player - along with cassette tapes jamming to them - rewind, jam, rewind, jam - and so on. Today's world has the internet an You Tube. Sometimes makes me wonder what my learning curve would be today if I started all over again.

What Reverend said. Mark is a great teacher and he can do it via Skype. Join the group classes the Rev has as well as HIAR.

Me, I was purely self taught and it was a long road. Of the few lessons I had, it was in Classical Guitar, a little jazz and Hawaiian Slack Key. I used buy tons of books from the music store, it can get overwhelming. I spent many hours with a record player - yes a record player - along with cassette tapes jamming to them - rewind, jam, rewind, jam - and so on. Today's world has the internet an You Tube. Sometimes makes me wonder what my learning curve would be today if I started all over again.

We will see I cant put it off

This is true and the only way I can do that is practice

That is what you really need. Even if you studied with someone, you can't improve without practice. In the days as mentioned above, I used to practice 8-10 hours a day. Granted I went to school (college as well) for 3-4 years. Had a part time job and all I did was eat, sleep, work and practice. I did all my homework before school started. It is tougher now and am lucky to get 1 hour in. But my practice ethic now is very different as I can mentally practice without an instrument in my hand.

Hey Shawn, I've got a Bad Monkey you can try out.

I've also got a BSIAB (Brown Sound In A Box) that I built. That might get you what you want out of the amp, and I could build you one if you like mine.

Hey Shawn, I've got a Bad Monkey you can try out.

I've also got a BSIAB (Brown Sound In A Box) that I built. That might get you what you want out of the amp, and I could build you one if you like mine.

Sounds cool. Im off all this week. Gotta check on that other one

Last edited:
Back