Suggestions for low watt tube amps

I'm really starting to rethink the class 5 thing. I'm really not all that happy with. I need more gain that's what I like. I'm not really liking the one channel one volume thing either. It may get shipped backed for something else

I'm really starting to rethink the class 5 thing. I'm really not all that happy with. I need more gain that's what I like. I'm not really liking the one channel one volume thing either. It may get shipped backed for something else

Please elaborate.........

Please elaborate.........

It doesn't have enough grab and sure as hell doesn't have enought growl for me. It doesn't have enough crunch for me. I would also rather to be able to switch between clean and crunch channels and on the class 5 u cannot. Don't get me wrong it's good sounding amp but in the end I would rather have more gain and an effects loop. The class 5 did not seem to like the stereo effects very well, my Fulltone choral flange pedal sounded like hammered dog shit through it. In the end i'm just a lil to much EVH for it.

Last edited:
It doesn't have enough grab and sure as hell doesn't have enought growl for me. It doesn't have enough crunch for me. I would also rather to be able to switch between clean and crunch channels and on the class 5 u cannot. Don't get me wrong it's good sounding amp but in the end I would rather have more gain and an effects loop. The class 5 did not seem to like the stereo effects very well, my Fulltone choral flange pedal sounded like hammered dog shit through it. In the end i'm just a lil to much EVH for it.

Interesting but then again your ears tell what you want to hear. Another suggestion would be to forget about tubes and just go for a Line 6 amp. You can channel switch, it is in expensive and best of all, you may not need any pedals. The problems with channel switching amps - IMO - is that you can never get to voices or sounds correct and be satisfied. This is why many carry two amps in order to get the clean and distortion sound. Besides EVH now has such a processed sound that the Line 6 comes pretty darn close for distortion and clean sounds. As for me, I a tube advocate but I go for a tone inside of my head and I work towards achieving it by using pedals to obtain that sound.

Interesting but then again your ears tell what you want to hear. Another suggestion would be to forget about tubes and just go for a Line 6 amp. You can channel switch, it is in expensive and best of all, you may not need any pedals. The problems with channel switching amps - IMO - is that you can never get to voices or sounds correct and be satisfied. This is why many carry two amps in order to get the clean and distortion sound. Besides EVH now has such a processed sound that the Line 6 comes pretty darn close for distortion and clean sounds. As for me, I a tube advocate but I go for a tone inside of my head and I work towards achieving it by using pedals to obtain that sound.

I'm considering an all valve distortion pedal instead of returning it. I looked at a Blackstar ht dual. But once again I'm in new territory here

I'm considering an all valve distortion pedal instead of returning it. I looked at a Blackstar ht dual. But once again I'm in new territory here

tubes aren't necessarily the answer for distortion pedals. IMO, the "tube sound" comes from the power amp, not the preamp. that said, i do think you should look for a pedal tuned to your tastes, instead of just getting a DS-1 or something. conversely, it is very easy to overpay and fall for boutique and/or marketing hype.

tubes aren't necessarily the answer for distortion pedals. IMO, the "tube sound" comes from the power amp, not the preamp. that said, i do think you should look for a pedal tuned to your tastes, instead of just getting a DS-1 or something. conversely, it is very easy to overpay and fall for boutique and/or marketing hype.

I do agree with HIAR on thi regarding boutique doesn't necessarily mean better, it only means handmade to me. In regards to what HIAR states about the "tube sound" it is true as well. However the sound you are looking for really IMO is preamp distortion.

Unfortunately I dont have anywhere around here to try out anything. So I go off of reviews and you tube demos it's really hard to get a feel for something when it's all on video. With the chorus and the other pedal I'm pretty much no what I want. However with the distortion I'm at a loss. The Ep booster gave it a whole new dynamic that is for sure. I also really need to work on my attack as well. I need to work on my touch for sure. I don't know where to start on a distortion pedal. I looked at some but were pretty expensive

I do like the tubes. The warmth is great. I just need work on it a bit. Build it ,so to speak

Last edited:
I do like the tubes. The warmth is great. I just need work on it a bit. Build it ,so to speak

sure, but do you want to be stepping on them? the other thing you have to watch out for are starved-plate voltages, where the tube isn't really doing anything that a lightbulb couldn't. solid state is more durable in pedal form, and can be tweaked to sound better at lower costs. it's just a matter of finding the right one.

sure, but do you want to be stepping on them? the other thing you have to watch out for are starved-plate voltages, where the tube isn't really doing anything that a lightbulb couldn't. solid state is more durable in pedal form, and can be tweaked to sound better at lower costs. it's just a matter of finding the right one.

In sorry I shouldve been more elaborative. I was talking bout amps. Still though I no nothing about solid state distortion pedals either. I don't a place around here I can try any out.

In sorry I shouldve been more elaborative. I was talking bout amps. Still though I no nothing about solid state distortion pedals either.

the best thing to do would be to familiarize yourself with the basic circuits. then you can see past all the marketing bullshit.

Sorry to hear you don't like it man. :(

To be honest though, I have no clue how it doesn't have enough "crunch" and "growl" lol. That thing has so much mid range bark that it's ridiculous. But to each his own. idn_smilie

The only suggestion I would have for you would be to try out different dirt pedals like a MXR '78 Distortion or a Fulltone Fulldrive to get the distortion you want.

And my Class 5 seems loves pedals, but I use simple MXR effects, I don't have anything crazy. I would suggest trying different effects and seeing what the amp likes and doesn't like.

But yeah, the Class 5 is a one trick pony for the most part. Either you dig it or you don't. It really sounds like you're not going to want a low watt Class A amp though, because that's kinda what they do, no bells or whistles like an effects loop, master or channel switching. I thought you were looking for a different sound from your 5150, but if you're missing it's sound and features, it's probably best to look for something more in that vain then trying to throw pedals and mods at the Class 5 to get it close to what you want. It is what it is for the most part.

Sorry to hear you don't like it man. :(

To be honest though, I have no clue how it doesn't have enough "crunch" and "growl" lol. That thing has so much mid range bark that it's ridiculous. But to each his own. idn_smilie

The only suggestion I would have for you would be to try out different dirt pedals like a MXR '78 Distortion or a Fulltone Fulldrive to get the distortion you want.

And my Class 5 seems loves pedals, but I use simple MXR effects, I don't have anything crazy. I would suggest trying different effects and seeing what the amp likes and doesn't like.

But yeah, the Class 5 is a one trick pony for the most part. Either you dig it or you don't. It really sounds like you're not going to want a low watt Class A amp though, because that's kinda what they do, no bells or whistles like an effects loop, master or channel switching. I thought you were looking for a different sound from your 5150, but if you're missing it's sound and features, it's probably best to look for something more in that vain then trying to throw pedals and mods at the Class 5 to get it close to what you want. It is what it is for the most part.

It just did not like the pedal I have plus I think the high gain pickups in my guitar are another difference. I need a guitar with a lower output pickup I believe. It's not that I don't like it cause I do. I think the amp is better than I am so I need to practice up and get the feel. I think I'm gonna change the humbucker in my strat to a lower gain one so that I have my Wolfgang and then something a lil less wolfy. I'm gonna keep it I believe, it's not the amp its the player right.

It just did not like the pedal I have plus I think the high gain pickups in my guitar are another difference. I need a guitar with a lower output pickup I believe. It's not that I don't like it cause I do. I think the amp is better than I am so I need to practice up and get the feel. I think I'm gonna change the humbucker in my strat to a lower gain one so that I have my Wolfgang and then something a lil less wolfy. I'm gonna keep it I believe, it's not the amp its the player right.

if you want more gain out of the amp, why do you need low output pickups?

I think I'm getting if confused with my ears is what it is. Something sounds out of wack with the Wolfie plugged in. I think it's just me.

lower output pickups will give you less distortion.

define what's "out of whack" with the Wolfgang and the amp, using descriptors that aren't "crunch", "growl", "grab", or other similar marketing terms.

lower output pickups will give you less distortion.

define what's "out of whack" with the Wolfgang and the amp, using descriptors that aren't "crunch", "growl", "grab", or other similar marketing terms.

It's sounds like there are two signals on top of each other and one it off or something. It might be that stereo chorus pedal that screwing it all up. Cause just the Ep booster it sounds pretty good

Last edited:
Back