Suggestions for low watt tube amps

He's a VH fan. That's the only sound he's looking for. Right now he has a 5150 in his bedroom.

Princeton Reverb + pedals.
+1. Had a big local blues guy come in to jam with my high school jazz band a couple years ago and he had one of these. Amazing amp. They actually get pretty great overdrive tones, but you have to crank them, and they are LOUD. :messedup: The guy had to turn down so you could hear our trumpet section. rotflmao

I personally love my Marshall Class 5. I spam up these forums recommending it, but I've actually cranked the volume to about 8 or so and played Somebody Get Me A Doctor and IMO it got pretty close to a VH sound. You'd have to try one out and see if it gets what you're wanting.

I also dig the Blackstar amps for higher gain stuff. They've got a pretty killer 5 watter.

And of course, if money isn't an issue, there's always this, lol.

[video=youtube_share;IpdNW8U0Flg]http://youtu.be/IpdNW8U0Flg[/video]

Last edited:
Im probably going to sell the daisycutter 10w...that might be right up your alley. Pushed with a boost at lower volumes it does a nice early VH style tone

4 to 5 hundred, I've never heard of a daisy cutter I'll have to check it out. It doesn't necessarily gotta be van haleny something really warm but like butter maybe Marshally I'm not sure I wanna drive the hell out of it probaly

I thought about the attenuator but I read an article about the 5150 and that you shouldn't use it with with. I think someone else suggested a weber but I know nothing about attenuattors

4 to 5 hundred, I've never heard of a daisy cutter I'll have to check it out. It doesn't necessarily gotta be van haleny something really warm but like butter maybe Marshally I'm not sure I wanna drive the hell out of it probaly
If that's what you're looking for I think the Class 5 would be a good amp to look into. It loves to be pushed by overdrives too.

I got some kicking lead tones out of it Saturday at my gig, here's a clip:

[video=youtube_share;Gh3WeMD2BwE]http://youtu.be/Gh3WeMD2BwE[/video]

I'm using a MXR Classic 108 Fuzz on this song, so if you find it fuzzy or a little bassy that's why.

It sounds good and there's another thing I know nothing of distortion pedals and such, hell I've never needed one, with the 5150 it's just so fn loud

It sounds good and there's another thing I know nothing of distortion pedals and such, hell I've never needed one, with the 5150 it's just so fn loud
Yeah, there's so many dirt pedals out there. The Class 5 has great crunch and lead tones on it's own, I just used the fuzz on that song to get the Hendrix-y kind of sound. I use a MXR Classic Overdrive for solos too, but I crank the output knob and keep the gain knob pretty low, so it's mainly just like a clean boost that makes the amp's tubes work harder.

Last edited:
I just watched a Marshall demo on the class 5 it's sounds really good

Yeah, I played the class 5, and it was sweet. They also have a 1 watt JMP head that was incredible. You might also look at the Orange Tiny Terror. It can go down to a 7 watt setting.

Back