Suggestions for a new used car?

speakerjones

my hat is all
I just can't really decide what I want for my next daily driver. My '02 Subaru Outback has treated me well, but it's starting to develop a bunch of small, annoying things wrong with it, and at almost 175k miles, I see a few fairly expensive repairs on the horizon. Prior to owning the Soob, I was a Honda guy, and my wife's vehicle is a '12 Pilot which I like, but am not really into getting another one.

I spend about an hour and a half on average in my car every day, so I want something comfortable, roomy, and well-appointed - nice stereo, quiet interior, sunroof, heated seats would be nice, etc. 4WD/AWD is a must. 2 young girls, so roomy backseat with easy access for getting car seats in and out. I need a fair amount of cargo room to cart gear around. I've mainly been looking at mid to mid/large size SUV's. Another wagon, Subaru or otherwise, is a possibility. I really don't don't like small SUV's, though the line between wagon and small SUV is pretty thin these days, but no CRV's or RAV4's. Ideally, I'd like to spend less than $20k, so probably something a few years old.

I'm kind of intrigued by some of the pseudo-luxury brands like Acura/Infinity/Lexus, but on the other hand, feel like if I'm going to dish out a lot on maintenance, why not just spend an extra few bucks and get a used X5 or something. Some of the newer Fords and Jeeps look cool, but haven't driven American in a while... I dig some of Nissan's styling, but have hear a lot of mixed reviews on reliability and maintenance costs. Help?

I'll be in a similar situation in a few months as the lease on my Jeep Patriot is up. I don't mind the smaller SUV's so I've been thinking Ford Escape, the new Jeep Cherokee, and the Mazda CX5 or 7. I think the upscale are going to be overpriced. Good luck in your search.

I can tell you that Ford Explorer's are absolute tanks in the winter/snow. Not cheap, though, especially if you want a "pimped out" one. The older ones are cheap, safe, and they are a BEAST in nasty weather. Parts are cheap, too.

I had a Kia Sorrento (2010 if memory serves) that saved my life when I totalled it, and it was pretty nice, but a bit underpowered.

I was always a Mazda kind of guy, but not sure what they have in the way of AWD SUV's. Not familiar with them.

I test drove new Subarus a few years ago, and didn't care for them. A little TOO utilitarian, and I see a lot of rusted out ones on the road.

I just bought a Toyota Tundra (2014). Love it, but again, not what you're looking for.

I know most of the BMW "SUV's" are complete crap. I know a few friends with different models. They're nice on the inside, but they suck in any kind of weather. I mean, like REALLY suck. My next door neighbor's wife slid off the road in her X5, and I had to pull it out of the ditch with my '99 Explorer. It was kind of ironic, but those huge wheels, low-profile tires and too much power make it a powersled, which is not something you want in the snow. Or the ice. Or even the rain.

I'm not helping much, am I?

Last edited:
It's all good. Just trying to get more ideas and see what's working for people and what isn't. I do like the Mazda SUV's styling too. I just have very little experience with Mazdas in general outside of learning to driving a 323 on a road trip many years ago. I like some of the newer Jeeps too. I'm pretty wary of buying a Chrysler product though.

I love my CRV (mine is a 2002) but seeing that you want to avoid Hondas....

I would look at a Nisan Juke or a Mazda CX-5. The Jukes have gotten some pretty good ratings and seem to be an upgrade over the usual issues with Nissans.

Checking out the CX-9. More wagon like, and the Grand Touring package has all the goodies I want. Tons of cargo space. Can get an '11 with around 50k for $20k.

Checking out the CX-9. More wagon like, and the Grand Touring package has all the goodies I want. Tons of cargo space. Can get an '11 with around 50k for $20k.

Mazdas run forever. Really do......I've had several over the years, just not the SUV model.
Not familiar with that one, but curious to see what you end up with. AWD or 4WD?

Up here, we HAVE to have 4WD. Not all the time, but when you need it, nothing else will do......

Got a link or something so we can check it out?

And yeah, ANY new "pimped out" car/SUV is expensive. When I was shopping for the KIA, we looked at Subarus, and THEY were $30K new, not even pimped out. Just couldn't justify that one.....

And yeah, ANY new "pimped out" car/SUV is expensive. When I was shopping for the KIA, we looked at Subarus, and THEY were $30K new, not even pimped out. Just couldn't justify that one.....

Seriously....when I got my CRV I lucked out. It was an older model (2002 - I bought it in 2010) but it only had 52K on it and only cost about $11K.

A friend of mine just got a toyota highlander that was a 3 year lease return. It seems really fricken nice to me. Leather and lots of options that make it a good commuter. It is a hybrid model. I might consider something like that if I wanted an AWD car with room for a family. I think it was a CPO, so it still has a warranty, and toyota generally makes good, if a bit boring, cars. I know it was under 20K.

Yeah, I'm starting to warm up to Toyota a little more. I had a bad experience with a RAV4, so was turned off by them for a while. The highlander looks nice. You're right though, pretty boring looking.

I know in theory the CRV makes total sense for me. I want nothing to do with it.

Here's the edmunds link to the CX-9. http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-9/2011/?sub=suv I gotta test one out.

Since I am going through a similar process, I am checking in here. We need two used cars, as we are replacing one that got wrecked a year ago (Subaru Outback Imprezza) and one of two old suburbans. We were going to get rid of the older of the two Suburbans before, but then the Imprezza got wrecked. I am trying to stay away from an SUV, even a little one. So, right now, it is looking like one mid 00's Subaru Outback wagon, hopefully XT Limited as my wife wants heated leather, and hopefully also a stick. That last part makes the search last longer as most are automatics. For me, I am trying to find a well serviced and cared for 2005 VW Passat Wagon, TDI. I like the form factor, the price point is reasonable, and the cars should do well if they have been maintained, and certain service issues are either handled, or deducted from the purchase price so they can be handled. The other car that came up for consideration is the Mazda 6 wagon, more for instead of the Subaru. Better mileage, lots of room. But no AWD. If you don't want AWD, it looks good. I guess I could consider it instead of the VW also, but I like euro styling and seating better, and the TDI gets better mileage.

Yeah, I gotta have the AWD. While most driving I could do fine with a good set of snow tires and front wheel drive, I need the AWD to get out of my driveway which is quite steep. While I kind of like the Audi and VW wagons, I know people who own them and pay out the ass for general maintenance.

we are looking at two cars this weekend. A Subaru OutbackXT with leather and a manual. This one looks to have been really well cared for and has had the normal maintenance issues done, and is "really dry" for a used subaru underneath. (meaning none of the normal leaks). Looks like a fun car.
http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cto/4749666925.html

And, this very practical, but a lot less fun looking Honda CR-V. Outfitted with aftermarket leather over the heated seats, lower miles, better mileage, no manual, no turbo.

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/1785828?ad_cid=3

Cross posting this to the two active car shopping threads for discussion. Sorry for the repeat posts.

Last edited:
Seriously....when I got my CRV I lucked out. It was an older model (2002 - I bought it in 2010) but it only had 52K on it and only cost about $11K.
We are looking at a 2005 (linked above) with a little less than 88k and 12 k of warranty left. He is asking 11k but will take less. What kind of actual mileage do you get?

It was in one small wreck and was repaired according to carfax. It sounds like it was an older man's car that was taken away from him at the end of his driving through by his son-in-law who is now snowing it. I will find out about the damage but it sounds like it was more of a fender bender.

It sounds like a very good practical car. But I am still drawn to the manual transmission Subaru as well.

We are looking at a 2005 (linked above) with a little less than 88k and 12 k of warranty left. He is asking 11k but will take less. What kind of actual mileage do you get?

It was in one small wreck and was repaired according to carfax. It sounds like it was an older man's car that was taken away from him at the end of his driving through by his son-in-law who is now snowing it. I will find out about the damage but it sounds like it was more of a fender bender.

It sounds like a very good practical car. But I am still drawn to the manual transmission Subaru as well.

Gas mileage? About 22 city and 25 - 26 highway. Not brilliant, but not bad for an AWD.

Back