Suggestion for Acoustic Amp

mr_brockburst58

Pentatonic Niinja
Hey guys,

I have a dear friend of mine and rhythm guitarist that is not feeling well. He's experiencing some major health issues, so I have shifted to Acoustic in our group for a bit while he hopefully responds to the care he's getting.

At any rate, I am hunting an acoustic amp to use with my Gibson J-35. We play smaller spaces so I dont need a ton of volume. I was looking at the Fishman loudbox Mini and the Marshall AD 50. Anyone here use either one of these?

There isn't an over abundance of acoustic amps out there and I need to keep the price at 400 or less.

Any others to consider? I'm also willing to look for used too to save some coin.

Go direct into the PA via a DI. Honestly, acoustic amps are a waste of money unless you are using the amp as your PA. I used to own a very nice acoustic amp (Ultrasound) and sold it because it was really unnecessary. If you are convinced you must have one look at a used Ultrasound, SWR, or Fishman. I recommend you invest in a good acoustic DI (Baggs, Ultrasound, or Fishman). The Baggs Para DI is a standard and is under $200. I use the Ultrasound Ultra PDI and it has been bulletproof for nearly a decade and hundreds of shows.

I have the Fishman tower for many gigs, but if I am doing a smaller space, I use my Luna AMB 25. It was a mic channel and a guitar channel. My only coplaint is a lack of reverb on the vocal channel. For $149, it was a good investment and I just used it last for my library gig.
k2-_4aa58f88-1ab9-45cf-be64-ac3241c90d6f.v1.jpg

I have a Roland AC60 but agree it's unnecessary unless your using it for a mini pa.
I use the PADI for all my piezo equipped stuff. My main electrified acoustic has a Baggs M1A soundhole pickup so I don't even need the PADI for it. It sounds great plugged straight into whatever

I've got a little Genz-Benz Shenandoah I picked up used a few years ago, I think around $200. Has a good selection of features and is perfect when I'm playing a solo set.

I've got a little Genz-Benz Shenandoah I picked up used a few years ago, I think around $200. Has a good selection of features and is perfect when I'm playing a solo set.

I bought a nice used Genz-Benz Shenandoah 85 a few years back. as well. I will second this as a nice acoustic amp. It has a 12" speaker, so it does a nice job of being able to reproduce the low end of your acoustic's sound, ahs some nice effects, 2 channels for vocal and guitar, and a direct out.

Interesting. Three of my Lunas have both 1/4" and XLR connectors, but even using the 1/4"connector, I haven't experienced any noticeable problems.

Gary, I had an Ibanez acoustic-electric for quite a few years, and it had the 1/4" and XLR setup. I ran my guitar from the XLR jack to the mixer and it sounded fine when I shaped my sound with the onboard preamp.

If that's your setup, you really won't need anything else.

Back