Stupid Marriage Proposals

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
Since when did proposing marriage become about having viral videos and doing outrageous stuff? I just saw a case where a guy wrapped his hand in a bandage with an engagement ring under the bandage. He is in an emergency room with a hospital bracelet on, and his ER nurse girlfriend comes in to treat him. The bandage comes off and there is the ring. This leads me to wonder several things:
Did he really tie up precious ER time for this? In order to get the bracelet, he must have registered as having an injury. What did this stunt cost in terms of ER charges? WIll the insurance company get billed? Will he be in legal trouble for misrepresenting his need for treatment?

The biggest question to me is, why in the fuck would you want a private moment to become an internet sensation? As the recipient of such a proposal, I would be thinking, why would I want to marry this self-centered jerk?

Since when did proposing marriage become about having viral videos and doing outrageous stuff? I just saw a case where a guy wrapped his hand in a bandage with an engagement ring under the bandage. He is in an emergency room with a hospital bracelet on, and his ER nurse girlfriend comes in to treat him. The bandage comes off and there is the ring. This leads me to wonder several things:
Did he really tie up precious ER time for this? In order to get the bracelet, he must have registered as having an injury. What did this stunt cost in terms of ER charges? WIll the insurance company get billed? Will he be in legal trouble for misrepresenting his need for treatment?

The biggest question to me is, why in the fuck would you want a private moment to become an internet sensation? As the recipient of such a proposal, I would be thinking, why would I want to marry this self-centered jerk?
One of the problems with living in the digital age is that social media gives wannabe celebrities free reign to put their lives in the public eye. For some reason these people think that the rest of the world actually gives a shit.

The ironic thing is I would imagine most people who's lives really are in the public eye (actual celebrities), would give anything for a "normal, private" life.

One of the problems with living in the digital age is that social media gives wannabe celebrities free reign to put their lives in the public eye. For some reason these people think that the rest of the world actually gives a shit.

The ironic thing is I would imagine most people who's lives really are in the public eye (actual celebrities), would give anything for a "normal, private" life.
Yeah, sick, but maybe the new "normal". I'm still blown away by all the ethical implications of this hospital proposal.

I did the corny bring the ring with desert. She loved it as it was also her birthday. Shit happen and we never did get married.

We looked at each other one night and said, "You want to get married?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, sick, but maybe the new "normal". I'm still blown away by all the ethical implications of this hospital proposal.

Yeah that's whack.

I seen one where the guy pretended to fall off a roof only to land on an airbag with marry me? Painted on it :facepalm:

This wouldn't be an issue in a country with universal health care, (UNIVERSAL), ...(HEALTH).......(CARE).............

Wouldn't think twice about it.............

I did the decoy gift. It was on xmas and I first played it up saying I have something here that I feel is very important to me and to you. Her smile was getting larger and larger. I then gave her a water purifier. The smile turned into a frown. I then said I have an accessory to go with that and gave her the ring. She said yes but then punched me.

OMYAC

These days nothing is real unless it's shared
on the Internet.

I was out for a friends 30th on Friday night - small dinner with close friends and family. Nice night.

Scoot forward to last night and my fiance shows me a facebook video of her husband (a fellow teacher as it happens) "giving" her her birthday present.

Instead of surprising her the old fashioned way or asking where she'd liked to go, she'd to pick one of 3 envelopes - all of which had a destination he was going to book a holiday for - he then made her awkwardly open them up to find out if she;d picked a good or a shitty holiday.

I'm convinced the only reason he did it was because posting "HOW AWESOME AM I TAKING MY WIFE TO VEGAS FOR HER BIRTHDAY?!?!?" would have made him look like a complete prick instead of a sizeable one like in the video.

I tied the ring to our dog Boomer's collar with a sign that said "will you marry my Papa?!"
She said yes but Boomer hated every minute that sign was hanging from his collar! He kept trying to rip it off.

This wouldn't be an issue in a country with universal health care, (UNIVERSAL), ...(HEALTH).......(CARE).............

Wouldn't think twice about it.............
Yes, it would be an issue, because you would still be tying up vital resources. Emergency rooms are for folks who are sick or injured, not buffoons who want to impress his girl, the world, or all of the above.

I don't even remember when we decided to get married. It must have been sometime in 1978, way before social media required video, pictures, and comments on every aspect of our lives...

Back