Studio Monitor-y question . . .

Phil513

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Staff member
I have Alesis M1Active monitors. They are behind my computer desk, at ear level, angled at my head.

I get a weird harmonic, i don't know the right term. Whenever bass hits a low E, i get a loud droning overtone. Like, just on that note, everything is coming from inside a 55 gallon drum. Does that make sense? Goes away when the note changes.

It's really bugging me. What could it be?

I'll try to find a pic of my setup.

Sounds like something is resonating at that frequency.

I'd probably try to isolate what might be vibrating sympathetically when the low E is playing.

Is it one speaker or both?

If you take it off the stand, does it stop?

Can you identify anything within the speaker that might be vibrating? Does it sound like the cone itself is doing it or is it something vibrating in the enclosure?

If you play the same note on, say, a keyboard, does it do the same thing? (Maybe it's the bass rather than the speaker)

It might be as simple as applying some rubber or foam somewhere to isolate the vibration.

OK. I'm playing a YouTube of Symphony of Destruction. Lots of E.

It doesn't really go away at lower volume. Obviously, the amount goes down, but still there.

USian, the stands have pads on them. But it's coming from both, at least both ears. It does sound like a resonation. I'll try my keyboard.

Wow, that was amazing. Yeah, it's doing it on my keyboard very clearly. But on B and C for some reason. But as i go up the scale, it's totally obvious when i hit those two, then goes completely away, either side.

It's your room. Being in a corner like that definitely isn't helping. Building some inexpensive bass traps will clean up that frequency range a lot.

Yeah, i was thinking it's the corner. But i don't really have a place to move it.

Direct me to a bass trap?

Back