Studio is coming together.

tamoore

G33K
Lots of new gear acquisitions the past few weeks.

I've had an Ovation A/E guitar for 20 some years which I've used on all of my recordings, and finally got fed up with that sound, so I went out to the nearest music store to try out some new acoustic guitars. I wanted a nice sounding guitar that I could throw a condenser mic in front of, and just get a basic guitar sound.

I told the guy my price range, and he started handing me guitars. The first one he handed me, I liked a lot. Nothing after that really grabbed me the same. After about an hour.. he looks at me and says... "You know, if you want a good basic acoustic guitar for recording (which is what I originally told him I wanted), you should try this used one". He reached up on the wall right next to where I had been sitting for an hour, grabbed a guitar and handed it to me. I played two chords and it was sold. No idea why he hadn't given me this guitar when I first walked in.
It is a Martin DX1AE. Got it for 400, and I love the playability and sound. Instant improvement on my guitar tracks.

I really wasn't happy with my monitoring at the new place I'm recording, so I got some monitor stands to get the monitor tweeters up to ear level. I just put them in yesterday, and I can already hear much better.

WP_20161213_18_53_03_Pro.jpg

Previously, I had been a bad boy and had used some stolen plug ins. This time, I'm going legit on everything. I needed a good suite of plugs, and Tracktion has some amazing ones I demoed at a great price.
100 bucks for 16 really nice, useful plugs. The EQ and compressor are awesomely useful, as is the bus compressor. The reverb is really nice sounding too. Very low overhead, so they can go on every track and not bog everything down. Very happy with the cost/value.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/daw-essentials-collection

They make a mastering plugin too, which I'll buy when I get to the point of mastering this new collection of songs.

I've never been happy with my headphones, so I bought a "nicer" set for tracking. These were on sale. The last set of phones I paid over 100 dollars for didn't last very long. I hope these are better.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HD280Pro

I've decided that I want a more tactile mixing experience, so I bought a control surface. I had always wanted the Mackie Control Universal, but it's 1100 dollars, and always seemed like a bit too much money.
When I was searching around the Sweetwater site, I found that Behringer had made a knock off which was actually better in many ways, at half the price. So, I impluse bought it!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XTouch

100mm touch sensitive motorized faders, complete transport control, and assignable pots. this will get the mouse out of my hands.

Merry Christmas to me, I guess.... :embarrassed:

Looking forward to hearing the results of all this. Your compositions were always good stuff and I'm glad to see you getting back into it.

Where did you get those monitor stands? I have the same issue...mine are too low.

Also, let me know how you like theirs headphones. They are on my short list as well. I have a cheaper pair but the bleed through is too much. The condenser mix picks up the click track through the phones!!! Even at a low volume.

Where did you get those monitor stands? I have the same issue...mine are too low.

Also, let me know how you like theirs headphones. They are on my short list as well. I have a cheaper pair but the bleed through is too much. The condenser mix picks up the click track through the phones!!! Even at a low volume.

These are the stands. Pricey, but they're really nicely constructed, adjustable, and isolated with thick rubber feet.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ISOL8R155

I'll let you know how it goes with the phones. :)

Cool Hamer!
I'm so jealous that you got the X-Touch! I reeeeeeally want one, but I know I don't need it. I use a Faderport now, which totally streamlined the tracking process for me. But when it comes to mixing, I've kinda gotten used to the mouse. Plus, I write all my automation with the mouse, and I'm sure I wouldn't go back to using faders for that.
I still reeeeeally want one, though!

So then I suppose you're going to come back and kick my ass again in the recordingfest?

Thanks.

Dick.

:)

That's some nice stuff, congrats on the new ear gear.

Sweet! That setup is pretty darn nice.Which DAW do you use?

All my plug-ins are free - but because they are just free on the internet. Meaning I lack the really good ones - but for my recording ability they work just fine.

I'm curious about your DAW as well. I'm thinking I might spring for the tracktion bundle. I'm currently using Cubase 5. I couldn't find a list of compatible DAWs on their site. It only says compatible with most "good" DAWs. Lol

I use Tracktion. You can get V4, the full version for free. I recorded my first two albums with V3, I think, so getting V4 for free is pretty good. I bought V7, and it was 60 bucks which is well worth it.

Tracktion is very logical in the way it is laid out. I think it makes perfect sense for people who don't want to be audio engineers. It's all one screen, so you don't have endless menus and pages, and the work flow is left to right. Everything is right there in front of you, and it's all drag and drop. I can't recommend it enough.

The phones I got are... Well, I guess they're ok. I've never had even moderately good headphones before, so I've got nothing to judge them against. They were really nice when tracking vocals yesterday...

I looked at the tracktion website again. It will work with my DAW. But I see it for sale at $99...where did you get yours for only $60?
From what I've read the phones you have are good. A friend has a pair of the Vic Firth drummer phones which he swears by.
I'm assuming that you didn't have any bleed through to your condenser mic from the phones? That is the issue I have with my current (crappy) pair. They sound good, they just don't isolate well enough.

I looked at the tracktion website again. It will work with my DAW. But I see it for sale at $99...where did you get yours for only $60?
From what I've read the phones you have are good. A friend has a pair of the Vic Firth drummer phones which he swears by.
I'm assuming that you didn't have any bleed through to your condenser mic from the phones? That is the issue I have with my current (crappy) pair. They sound good, they just don't isolate well enough.
Heh.. I record in the noisiest room there is. Fridges running, heater blowers coming on and off.... Bleed is the last of my worries....
But yea, these did seem to isolate pretty well.

Oh yea.. You can get T7 only, and not the bundle. T7 alone is 60 bucks. It bundles with a bunch of other stuff for 100, IIRC.

Back