string review: Dunlop Electric 10-46

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
DunlopElectricGuitarStrings-5.5.png

i got a free pack of these with my Mojo Hand Colossus from Tonefactor, and put them on my PRS yesterday.

first off, they're the longest strings out of the pack i've ever seen. they must be considering their target audence to be baritone players because the high strings were at least a foot longer than any other string i've used. i guess that's cool if you're stringing a 30" scale baritone, but completely unnecessary for the vast majority. i expect Dunlop will lose that extra length as they go for higher profit margins.

tonally, they're going for the bright tone that my regular D'Addarios are known for. comparing between my PRS and Ibanez (which intentionally sound very similar, but feel different), their normally similar tones were all still there.

the big difference is feel. these are much, much tighter than D'Addario 10s. they almost feel like 11s in a 10s size. they're nicely polished and very smooth. but essentially make the PRS play like my Tele, which has a D'Addario 11-49 set.

i'll have to see how they last in rehearsal, which i'm happy to say, i have two of this week. but first impressions are incredibly positive.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/Electric-Guitar-Strings

Very cool. I use nickel strings and have run out of spare sets. I will give these a go when I actually get a guitar. I like the idea that they feel bigger.

:cool:

I don't see a pure nickle set on their site or I would give them a try....I'm looking for something to replace the gibsons that I use that is easier to source.

I might need to look at these. I like really tight strings and on my Tele I went to a set of 11-52.

:cool:

I don't see a pure nickle set on their site or I would give them a try....I'm looking for something to replace the gibsons that I use that is easier to source.

i can't tell if the Billy Gibbons strings are pure nickel or not. they might be.

impressions after first rehearsal - i really like them. something about them feels more durable. now to see how long they last.

hey Mark, i called Dunlop ask some questions about their strings and they said they'll likely have a pure nickel set out by the end of the year.

i thought you would like that. course, the guy wouldn't give me the first answer i was looking for, which was about the string tension (apparently that information is proprietary), but we had a good conversation about the product and i'm fairly certain i'll be buying them again. i'm at least going to try the acoustic strings. i mean, why not?

i thought you would like that. course, the guy wouldn't give me the first answer i was looking for, which was about the string tension (apparently that information is proprietary), but we had a good conversation about the product and i'm fairly certain i'll be buying them again. i'm at least going to try the acoustic strings. i mean, why not?

I think strings are one of the most over looked part of the tonal equation. I know I am guilty of overlooking them from time to time.

I think strings are one of the most over looked part of the tonal equation. I know I am guilty of overlooking them from time to time.

agreed. tone, i think, is actually the last thing people go on with strings. we're much more concerned with feel and construction instead of tone. because if they keep breaking, or feel like shit, i'm not going to buy them.

If you like the fat feel and big tone, you might consider these, too...
79381.jpg

To make the Helix HD, the patent-pending, Hyper-Elliptical Winding process took over a year of many trials to find just the precise elliptical shape for the winding wire. This shape then had to be paired with the correct winding process that would produce these stupendous results—the maximum mass for the string’s diameter that still maintained the string’s vibrancy.

More mass makes a fuller tone; more windings give a smoother feel as well as
a brighter, more resonant tone. This provides a smoothness and performance unrivaled by any conventional string.

The Hyper-Elliptical Winding process results in an increased number of wraps along the length of the string. This increases the mass of your string, without changing its diameter or material.

http://www.deanmarkley.com/Strings/Electric/HelixHDNPSEl.shtml

EG

Back