"strawberry-rhubarb"

Never understood it myself. I like just cooking rhubarb with some sugar -- makes an amazing sauce that is fantastic on vanilla ice cream, or just by itself. Also, cooking rhubarb is a great way to clean your aluminum pans...

Why anyone would ruin a good strawberry pie by putting rhubarb in it is beyond me.

Never understood it myself. I like just cooking rhubarb with some sugar -- makes an amazing sauce that is fantastic on vanilla ice cream, or just by itself. Also, cooking rhubarb is a great way to clean your aluminum pans...

Delicious. Tart/sweet. Mom used to make an amazing rhubarb pie...

You can't get good rhubarb in California - I think it needs a hard freeze in the winter. In Wisconsin it grew like a weed.

A good rhubarb-raisin pie is waaaaay better than rhubarb-strawberry. In fact, I'm a big-time chocoholic, and I'd much rather have a rhubarb-raisin pie than a chocolate cake or a chocolate pie :embarrassed:

grandmarhubarbraisinpie.jpg

I'd go for straight rhubarb myself, but adding it to strawberry does add a much needed bit of backbone

I like the combination...

Here's one I made before it went in the oven..

It wasn't pretty but it was tastey...and gone...

29523_1337503953379_5581743_n.jpg

looks tasty to me. I don't think I've ever seen a lattice top crust done with cut-outs rather than individual strips, but it seems like it would work!

looks tasty to me. I don't think I've ever seen a lattice top crust done with cut-outs rather than individual strips, but it seems like it would work!

That's because most don't have the skills of tom

Not a fan. Love strawberries, hate rhubarb. Just like Orange Marmalade is a waste of good oranges, this is a waste of good strawberries

Not a fan. Love strawberries, hate rhubarb. Just like Orange Marmalade is a waste of good oranges, this is a waste of good strawberries
FWIW, good marmalade is typically made with oranges that you wouldn't consider "good" for eating - they're quite sour/bitter

Back