Strat Pickups Question

i'll look into the Rose pups. they appear to be quite affordable.
i'm reading the decscriptions of the sets, but i don't see anything about a "texas" sound.
anyone familiar with the Rose pups enough to point me in the right direction?
or do i need to contact them?

I have a set of American Beauties from Rose. Great stuff. I have another Strat on the way, waiting for it to get here. Not buying yet, just looking. :grin: Anyways, I went to Rose, love the ABs but I want something different for this one. Anyways, anyways, the clip for the Robustos was some SRV.

http://www.rosepickups.com/apps/webstore/products/show/5915355

Last edited:
I have a set of American Beauties from Rose. Great stuff. I have another Strat on the way, waiting for it to get here. Not buying yet, just looking. :grin: Anyways, I went to Rose, love the ABs but I want something different for this one. Anyways, anyways, the clip for the Robustos was some SRV.

yes.....but the clip of SRV was the song Lenny....which is a completely different set of pups than what was in Number One....which he used on most everything else.
i would have liked to hear the other pups in that set and maybe with a little "push" on the amp to get an idea of what they all sound like. they all sounded good, but i kiinda didn't hear the kind of style i like to play represented. i'll email Ken and see what he recommends

I have Premium Hot GFS Alnico staggered pickups in this guitar. Pots and switch are Fender and have used them for 5 or 6 years. No complaints.

In case your curious, the pickups I list above measure 8.9 neck, 9.3 middle, 9.9 bridge.

i appreciate the info.....i think those would be a bit too hot for what i do. blues and r&b type stuff......more like in the 6.4K ....maybe 6.9K bridge.....ish.

i appreciate the info.....i think those would be a bit too hot for what i do. blues and r&b type stuff......more like in the 6.4K ....maybe 6.9K bridge.....ish.

Volume knob takes care of that. You can always dial down, but you can never dial up if you don't have it.

As much as I like the Rose pickups I have, I think you really might appreciate the bg-pups v60s: http://bg-pups.com/strats/v60/ - they are what's in my roadworn strat, and that is the guitar I gig most often. They have a 3D quality to them that is hard to describe, but when you hear it, you'll know. The clips on that site are pretty accurate.

care to elaborate? who made the pups? where'd you get them? what is it that you like about them?

Fender stock strat pickups. They were built into the guitar when I bought it.

I just remember playing the guitar and going "I could play a gig with this right now". Not so much a "ring of authenticity" but good sounding strat pickups that did what they were supposed to and minimized what they weren't (not too noisy).

They sang more than screeched, not too harsh which means they probably weren't really high output. Even the bridge pickup was pretty even. They were bright but not too bright.

I put GFS lipsticks in aTele copy, like em. they are very much like the old Danos.
Put the "hot vintage" GFS rail in a homemade Esquire, very meh, lacks highs.
So take your chances, or not.

Rose has good rep.
I'm a Wylde man myself. Imma gonna hit Becky up someday for some L90s.
If I was fittin a Strat, I'd get Keystones. But you better hurry, they are streamlining and will stop taking orders for Strat sets as of 11-30-15 per the website.
http://www.wildepickups.com

Last edited:
I put GFS lipsticks in aTele copy, like em. they are very much like the old Danos.
Put the "hot vintage" GFS rail in a homemade Esquire, very meh, lacks highs.
So take your chances, or not.

Rose has good rep.
I'm a Wylde man myself. Imma gonna hit Becky up someday for some L90s.
If I was fittin a Strat, I'd get Keystones. But you better hurry, they are streamlining and will stop taking orders for Strat sets as of 11-30-15 per the website.
http://www.wildepickups.com
That's a good point. The Keystones I have in my Strat are fantastic pickups. But I also have a set of MicroCoils in one of my Teles that are great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any pickups from Wilde. The only downside is the wait. Becky is really behind on shipping orders with reports that it can take three months or more to get pickups right now.

Back