Strange amp phenomenon solved.

Tiltsta

Show me your frittatas
Staff member
The last few months my Fender Supersonic combo has been driving me nuts. It sounds as good as usual, but the reverb seems to make a slight clicking/put-put sound. I had no idea what might be going on, so I swapped out the tube reverb send/return tubes with some I had hanging around. This seems to have fixed it for a few days, but then it came back. I checked the reverb tank connection, and everything else I could think of, and after putting it all back together the problem was gone again. Then it came back. I just solved the problem. Turns out the reverb channel was picking up some electrical interference from my NAS server in the same room. The reverb only clicks when the hard drives are reading/writing, so I moved the NAS to a different wall socket/circuit and the problem went away. I can't believe I was stupid enough to not try the PLUG first. :facepalm:

Anyway, all is good again.

They always say check the simplest thing first. I remember getting a call for support one time where the caller said their computer was dead and they needed me to come out to take a look at it. I asked them if it was plugged in and they said "of course it is, do you think I am an idiot." well when I got there and took the power cord that was laying on the floor and plugged it in, they felt silly.

Glad you got it working.

I think my main reason to post this was to provide the cautionary tale of wasting an agonizing month or two looking a circuit diagrams and parts rather than simply trying the OBVIOUS and easy thing first. I should know better, but I think we have all had moments like this, and they are pretty funny when you realize how stupid you were. And, yes, I was stupid.

Anything less than aliens or the Illuminati is anticlimactic.

thread does not deliver.

I never mentioned what is saved on the NAS, and how it might point to the CIA's involvement in various infectious diseases over the last 50 years. And aliens. Aliens probing the shit out of the proud folk of the midwest.

Back