Still chasing the dragon

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
I want a better rotary pedal. The RT-20 has a brightness to it that makes the rest of my rig sound weird, especially at slower settings. But it's the only rotary pedal out there with the ability to mix wet and dry signals. Other pedals have a mic placement control, but that's not the same thing.

The TZF does a great fast leslie. At slower speeds it sounds like the TZF.

The Subdecay Quasar DLX is a great phase pedal. But it's not a rotary.

I should probably just deal with the phase pedal and shut up. But we know how well that turns out. Don't we?

Get an EQ pedal and pop the EQ and the rotary pedal on a loop pedal so you can turn them on and off with one step.

looks like you need a bigger board.

Looking at the market for rotary pedals, there's nothing out there that does exactly what I want. So I think it's time to go back to the phase pedal I was perfectly happy with for the past 6 years.

Which ones have you tried, Howie?

I bought a used RT-20 on a lark. It sounds great. But there's a weird treble spike when it's on, especially on the slow settings. I've tried the Strymon Lex and the Tech 21 Rotochoir, but they're both missing a mix knob. I want to be able to dial it back and that's not something those pedals can do. I did really like the Lex though.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. I've got modulation pedals that are great at what they do. I have to adjust my expectation of what I can get out of the phase pedal, and just go with it. Because it sounds great. It's just not "authentic". Who cares?

Dammit -- thread title immediately brought me to the Guitar Queer O episode:

heroin_hero_de.jpg

Honestly, while I like (but don't love) the effect on recordings, but a real rotary speaker in a live environment is totally immersive...sound waves bouncing off all the walls, intermingling mid air, all coming back to the listener at different angles, etc.

The best a pedal can do is try and simulate what it sounds like on tape...nothing seems right live.

Last edited:
I recently saw a player using the old Line6 roto-whatever pedal. Sounded killer. Dunno if it had a mix knob on it, though.

I recently saw a player using the old Line6 roto-whatever pedal. Sounded killer. Dunno if it had a mix knob on it, though.

I'm waiting for Line6 to release an M9 sized version of the Helix. When they do, I'm going full digital. In the meantime, I'll just stick with the modulation I have.

Back