Stereo speaker stands

I finally got my Dahlquist DQM-5 speakers repaired, along with my original Denon DRA-550 (55w) amp. I also have the original Technics straight arm turntable. Now that the speakers are repaired, I would like to make speaker stands for them. I had a set that lifted the speakers maybe just under a foot off the ground before, but they got given away when the speakers were needing repair.

I see some online, but I am not paying someone up to $300 for what appears to be a simple wood project.

Can anyone suggest how high to make the stands? I was thinking between a foot and 18", with maybe tipping them back just a touch toward the wall. Not too high, as I want the bass response, but not too low either. Materials? I was thinking just heavy ply, or some 3/4 oak. Our floors are wood, so I would think some firm rubber feet of some kind. My speakers are the two way configuration below, with the cabinet finish of the 3 way further below. A matte black surface, with black fabric fronts.

201504174434_d1.jpg
download.jpg

Can't really help you with the carpentry, but if you need a visual reference these are 20" tall speakers on 20" Atlantis stands.

20180926_131851[1].jpg

Seeing as you are going with vintage gear I'd go with stacked cinder blocks
They used to be on overturned blue plastic milk crates back in the day. So that would have put them only 12-13 inches high when I was using those. They are good sounding speakers. Tight and punchy bass, clear highs. Hmm, sounds like I am describing a good rosewood and spruce acoustic.

Wife will no likey milk crates now.

They used to be on overturned blue plastic milk crates back in the day. So that would have put them only 12-13 inches high when I was using those. They are good sounding speakers. Tight and punchy bass, clear highs. Hmm, sounds like I am describing a good rosewood and spruce acoustic.

Wife will no likey milk crates now.

Another idea she might be more open to... have her pick out some clay/ceramic/decorative flower pots of the right height, then top it with the GRAMMA from above. Strong enough to support them (plus the little hole in the bottom of a pot is great for running wires) and plenty of design options. The isolation pad will give enough decoupling that it won't cause any phase or reflection issues.

I wanted a certain height off the floor so I recently bought a pair of these Sanus stands. Sanus seems to have a large selection of different sizes, well built, and reasonably priced.
NF18B.jpg

I wanted a certain height off the floor so I recently bought a pair of these Sanus stands. Sanus seems to have a large selection of different sizes, well built, and reasonably priced.
NF18B.jpg
I looked at those. The ones that were the height I want don't take the weight of these speakers. They are about 35 lbs each.

Back