WTF: Stephen Colbert to replace Dave Letterman?

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
I am a big fan of the Colbert Report, but I find myself wondering why he would make this move. Maybe it will give him a chance to step out of his character, and I guess in some ways it is a larger audience, but I do know he'll have to adjust his interview style.

really?
I dig the guy a lot, but I think this is a bad move.
I don' tthink he's the right person for that show.

Doesn't matter to me. I don't watch either of those self righteous pricks.
Replacing one political hack with another is about par for the course in media.

Last edited:
I like Colbert, but will have to see how this works for him.
The problem is I wake up by 5AM so late night TV has to be DVR'ed.

Colbert is pretentious? He loves to play devil's advocate. His manor is part of the character. I guess some don't get it. He and Stewart make fun of the assclowns on both sides of the aisle.

I cant stay up late to watch anyway but in my opinion, there is no replacing David Letterman. There can be another host for a show in that time slot but Letterman is Letterman. Just like Carson was Carson. Leno was fine and Fallon is really talented but they are different shows. I've never watched Colbert at all so I dont have any idea how he fits that scenario but good for him I guess.

Couldn't happen to an (apparently) nicer guy. I'm very curious to see him as Steven Colbert, rather than "Steven Colbert", but he's a very funny guy. He'll do fine.

Maybe it will give him a chance to step out of his character, and I guess in some ways it is a larger audience...

Ding and Ding.

There are a ton of people who don't realize the difference between the comedian and the character he portrays on his show.

Reactions: Tig
It's a great move. For people that only know him from the Colbert Report, you have no idea how much range he actually has. Yeah, he'll have to cut some schtick, but he absolutely has the skill and personality to pull it off.

But now Comedy Central will have to fill his slot... John Oliver to the rescue?

They're probably kicking themselves for having just created a great new late-night show, which could have moved up a half hour if they hadn't named it "@midnight".

It's a great move. For people that only know him from the Colbert Report, you have no idea how much range he actually has. Yeah, he'll have to cut some schtick, but he absolutely has the skill and personality to pull it off.

He's got a new HBO show. I imagine Comedy Central will be SOL for a while.

Back