• rolled

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • SC/I/S

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

DdBob

Dogue in teh desert
Which do you prefer ?

Myself much prefers the SC/Irish/Scottish..."porridge" type but "regular" Quaker is fine sometimes too though.

I prefer the Steel Cut/ Irish stuff.
I can deal with the the Quaker stuff, but I find that I sometimes get heartburn when I eat it. I don't get heartburn often. So, it stands out as the cause,

Steel cut is less processed and the only way to go for the oatmeal connoisseur. :embarrassed:

I don't really cook up a bowl of normal oatmeal, but I use it to make tasty and wholesome oatmeal pancakes.

I prefer the steel cut, but I usually eat the instant. Every once and while I'll make myself up a hearty bowl of steel cut with nuts and berries though... :love:

Steel cut, served at Inishduff House, Kilcar, Co Donegal, whilst looking across the bay towards Sligo.

Last edited:
I regularly eat both. I tend to prefer the steel cut for breakfast and the rolled oats when I'm making a savory grain dish for dinner.

Steel cut is great, but it takes forever to cook it. I can do Quaker Oats in three minutes with a microwave.

I prefer rolled, my wife steel-cut. I don't think what others love about the steel-cut, the chewy texture.

But never 1-miute or instant oats. It takes less than 10-minutes to cook the traditional rolled oats and it's exponentially better.

I also put my steel cut oats into a spice grinder, pulverize it and then add it to my smoothies.

I actually eat oatmeal probably 4 or 5 days a week.

I prefer steel cut but almost always get rolled oats because of the convenience factor. When I have time steel cut are THE way to go. Anything but instant. My default breakfast is 3/4 cup whole milk yogurt - 1/2 - 3/4 cup rolled oats - 1/2 apple chopped - chopped walnuts - add honey to taste. Mix together before leaving to work and the oats are nice and soft by the time I get to work an hour later.

Back