State of the Stomp for More Sounds From Fewer Pedals

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
I found this to be an interesting topic...

Apr15_PG_CLM_State-of-the-Stomp_Image1_WEB.jpg

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/22068-state-of-the-stomp-more-sounds-from-fewer-pedals

Here is my take...

It is a great point the author makes but as others have mentioned each pedal serves a purpose and each has unique identity. Now with stacked OD's I still use the volume knob, tone knob, pickup selector for all of the different combinations. Even sometimes an extra amp. While the average listener won't know the difference a discerning musician will.

Please also note that if it is just a jam, one stomp box for simplicity if at all needed. For a gig it is the opposite way.

I think that a lot of this depends on application. I'm not a pro. I'm the farthest thing from that. I don't gig. I don't need to be portable (but I made a portable board anyway, and it's still got 8 pedals). I am in the process of clearing out several dirt pedals though, simply because they don't sound different enough. They're all really cool though, and when it's all said and done, the "home" board will still be a monster.

If I were a gigging musician, I'd probably have a small, low-budget (Boss) pedalboard, with maybe one or two weird pedals for fun.

I know my pedal swapping has been out of control, but when I gigged, it was my guitar->rat->amp. I wish I would start gigging again, then I probably wouldn't buy any more pedals.

I sometimes wonder if my pedal quest has gotten out of control (along with my guitar quest, drum gear quest, etc.), then I find something that matches the sound in my head, and it simply fuels the quest. I haven't been playing as long as most of you, so I still explore just to explore, as well.

Back