Started a new batch of beer

Punchy

Slacker Supreme
I call it "Remember the Alamo." A mix of light and Amber dry malt extract, added to a wort of steeped Munich. Hops consisted of Warrior at 45 minutes, Amarillo at 15, and another dose of Amarillo at 5.

Been in the primary for 3 days, smells super dank. Looking forward to trying it, if it turns out well I might have to spring for a 5-gallon setup :tongue:

:thu:

I'm building out a new brew rig. Decisions. Decisions.

Fuckin' A, man. But the more I look at stuff, the more I think it would be better to go simple with the rig and spend the extra money on a climate-controlled brew room. Ha.

Fuckin' A, man. But the more I look at stuff, the more I think it would be better to go simple with the rig and spend the extra money on a climate-controlled brew room. Ha.
Yeah things can get expensive quickly

I had an all electric rig at one point but it wouldn't work in the house we're in now. Been doing some small brew in bag batches but they are too much work. Probably should take advantage of some of the holiday sales to get a burner, pot and mlt

FWIW northern brewer is running a 20% off w/ free shipping using “BLACKOUT” coupon code.

I’ve decided to go back to propane since the electrical wiring in our current place isn’t really up to snuff for another all electric rig. Have a 8 gal kettle, bulkhead w/ dip tube and dark star 2.0 burner on the way. I have a chest cooler I could convert to an MLT but I might pick up a cheaper one to sacrifice to the cause.

Your batch sounds interesting!

I haven't brewed in a long time. I did harvest enough hops off my fence this year to do one or two batches. I think they work better as aroma hops. Will have to decide what bittering/boiling hops to pair them with. I typically stick with Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Willamette style. Thinking about something similar to a Sierra Celebration style, or a aromatic pale. But if I have enough for two batches, might try something else. Do you guys have suggestions? These fence hops are pretty citrusy and have a distinctive note, but I don't want to over do it, and do want to support them with something good. I have no idea what they really are. The local brewer thinks they seem similar to a citra type.

All my stuff is old school extract process stuff. 6 gal boil bucket, plastic primary, carboy. My buddy has a better boiling bucket with a spout, and screens for hops, and all the candy for the mash tun process. If he lets me brew with him, I might try that way for at least one batch.

Your batch sounds interesting!

I haven't brewed in a long time. I did harvest enough hops off my fence this year to do one or two batches. I think they work better as aroma hops. Will have to decide what bittering/boiling hops to pair them with. I typically stick with Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Willamette style. Thinking about something similar to a Sierra Celebration style, or a aromatic pale. But if I have enough for two batches, might try something else. Do you guys have suggestions? These fence hops are pretty citrusy and have a distinctive note, but I don't want to over do it, and do want to support them with something good. I have no idea what they really are. The local brewer thinks they seem similar to a citra type.

All my stuff is old school extract process stuff. 6 gal boil bucket, plastic primary, carboy. My buddy has a better boiling bucket with a spout, and screens for hops, and all the candy for the mash tun process. If he lets me brew with him, I might try that way for at least one batch.

Hop up an ale based off a wheat doppelbock extract recipe w/ plenty of malty goodness. Clock it in around 7-8%, pitch a generous amount of Wy1007 and ferment it around 65 degrees (it's cold enough now that you probably have some place in your house, garage that is nice and cool). With lots of yeast fermented on the cool side, it'll be ready quick and taste great. It'll make a great winter ale.

Hop up an ale based off a wheat doppelbock extract recipe w/ plenty of malty goodness. Clock it in around 7-8%, pitch a generous amount of Wy1007 and ferment it around 65 degrees (it's cold enough now that you probably have some place in your house, garage that is nice and cool). With lots of yeast fermented on the cool side, it'll be ready quick and taste great. It'll make a great winter ale.
Sounds like a good idea. This is what my hops look like. As I said, variety unknown. This pic is from a few years ago. This year, they did not get the aphids and holes in the leaves as much.

View attachment 37858
IMG_1880.JPG

FWIW northern brewer is running a 20% off w/ free shipping using “BLACKOUT” coupon code.

I’ve decided to go back to propane since the electrical wiring in our current place isn’t really up to snuff for another all electric rig. Have a 8 gal kettle, bulkhead w/ dip tube and dark star 2.0 burner on the way. I have a chest cooler I could convert to an MLT but I might pick up a cheaper one to sacrifice to the cause.

I saw that, I just don't have the space or cash right now. Will eventually get a propane burner setup, though. :thu:

I saw that, I just don't have the space or cash right now. Will eventually get a propane burner setup, though. :thu:
I don't know what the propane burner set up is that you are referring to, but I have a propane "crab boil" type propane burner I use. Just got it at whatever store. Home depot, lowes, whatever.

Back