Dig it! St Vincent Can Do No Wrong.

It's funny. As I get older, I think I am actually getting more open minded. I think if the 25 year old me would have watched that, I would have hated it, but the 46 year old me loved it.

It's the tune, her singing and playing...then her in that green dress. The slotted curtain and leg choreography I don't care about or for, but they're completely unimportant/insignificant to me. But Annie...holy crap.

Very minimalist song.

Here's the problem with her IMO. Without the performance art in frame, her music isn't extraordinary.

Sorry, it's just another performance artist from the Byrne school.

Very minimalist song.

Here's the problem with her IMO. Without the performance art in frame, her music isn't extraordinary.

I've always dug her music from first hearing and think she's been on an upward trajectory in regards to quality of the music. The only thing I've not been crazy is how she's gotten more image-y and arty since working with Byrne. Musically the album with Byrne is phenomenal, but her continuing to create albums and perform in character isn't my cuppa.

However, since I'm focusing on the music, it doesn't matter...except that green dress and her in it. Actually she could stand to eat more food overall, but I find her absolutely stunning...vastly more so when she's not in character.

I was having severe GAS pangs when I first saw the Tobacco Burst/gold hardware version months ago on the MF site, but then I remembered that I own a neglected Firebird if I want to play a long unwieldy axe. But that's just me. I do think it's a cool looking guitar and would like to get a chance to play/hear one in person.

J33303000001000-00-500x500.jpg

Very minimalist song.

Yeah, I thought it was just me on this forum because everyone else seems to love her. I don't get all the love. Her music does nothing for me. I think it's great that she's a guitar player and uses it to create her craft, but it just isn't for me.

And while she certainly isn't unattractive, she's not THAT good looking.

I've watched some of Annie's videos and just remembering I did end up with one of her CDs. Maybe my kid got if for me.
But anyway, I can't say that I've crossed into being "a fan" but I'd freely say I find her use of guitar "interesting". Sometimes that's enough. ;^)

I love everything about her...here's one of the her two performances from Late Nite w/ Colbert:

My only reservation about her recent music is that it's not as experimental as her earlier stuff. Still sounds good. Just seems geared to try and capture a larger audience.

I agree. Have yet to find that St. Vincent tune I want to sing in the shower ... hell, that I can remember after it's over. Very ordinary songs, played by a good looking woman who certainly knows how to play guitar.

A bigger problem for me is the way she trades off her looks. I'm not supposed to objectify her, I'm not supposed to apply different standards, in short, I would like to take her in as I would any male musician. But there is her new ad campaign, with her shoving her ass in my face on twice an hour on Spotify.

When she cranks out a classic song, I will delightedly change my opinion that this is a flavor of the month.

A bigger problem for me is the way she trades off her looks. I'm not supposed to objectify her, I'm not supposed to apply different standards, in short, I would like to take her in as I would any male musician. But there is her new ad campaign, with her shoving her ass in my face on twice an hour on Spotify.

Quite right! Nobody ever lusted after, say, Bowie*! It was serious music for serious people.

* I am vaguely aware that US&A spent the 70s in a denim-clad performance of Dreary Bloke Boogie, with the notably rare exception of KISS, but I think we'd all benefit from re-writing that history. Also: disco was IN FACT very good.

Back