Help! Squealing humbucker

Chad

Slender Hobbit
The humbucker in my Tele squeals like crazy whenever I hit it with any higher gain. @Help!I'maRock! heard it a the barn. Any ideas why? I've never really used humbuckers so I don't really have any experience with this.

It does it at any volume? Or at least at a rehearsal volume?

If i roll back the volume knob on the guitar it goes away and it is only if I am slamming it with a Rat pedal or have the gain cranked on my Mesa. 99% of the time it is fine, because I don't do high gain that often. I just went over to my neighbors to help him with is boss Katana and the thing was squealing like mad on the Brown setting.

That's what I thought. I just saw on a SD forum thread, to pull the cover, put a piece of masking tape over the magnets without the adjustable screws and recover. Easier than potting.

You could send it back to Curtis and ask him to pot it for you.

Yeah, I don’t think that’s abnormal. On my Quickrod, anything besides first gear will do that.
I typically will control it with the volume knob when at those type of gain settings. Plus the Rat has LOTS of gain.

Usually if a pickup is either unpotted or there is loose metal like a cover not soldered to the frame properly.

Usually if a pickup is either unpotted or there is loose metal like a cover not soldered to the frame properly.

that is what my 10 minute internet search has shown. Not that it isn't soldered properly, but the cover still can vibrate. The solutions I've seen are to pot it, or use a piece of masking tape and some silicone adhesive to stick the cover to the bobbin. I watched 2 videos and it seems very simply to do.

Potting isn't all that hard, melt the wax in jar inside a double boiler do it doesn't get too hot. Dip it just until bubbles stop coming from it and pull out. Quality bobbins shouldn't melt that fast.

I'll pot it for you if you pay for postage.

Thanks for the offer and I may take you up on it, but I think I am going to try the tape/silicone first. I have those supplies already and it looks like I can knock it out in 30 minutes or so. If that doesn't get it, you'll get a PM :grin:

Thanks!

Thanks for the offer and I may take you up on it, but I think I am going to try the tape/silicone first. I have those supplies already and it looks like I can knock it out in 30 minutes or so. If that doesn't get it, you'll get a PM :grin:

Thanks!

Paraffin wax is available in many grocery stores, sold with the canning supplies. Cut off some thin slices into a jar (melts easier) put that into a pan with a little bit of water, apply a little heat and Bob’s yer uncle.

Paraffin wax is available in many grocery stores, sold with the canning supplies. Cut off some thin slices into a jar (melts easier) put that into a pan with a little bit of water, apply a little heat and Bob’s yer uncle.

Oh good. I don't have an Uncle Bob, so this could really work for me.

Back