Splawn amps "unforgiving"... what does that mean?

Just got off the phone with Garret. Here's his website: https://www.boxcarguitars.com/

Really nice guy, big Splawn fan of course! Oh,and the amp is new, he said its got maybe 15 minutes of playing time on it

Last edited:
Was he hopefully able to answer you're questions maybe better than I could?!?
I honestly think you need to go play this amp asap. Don't sit on this one.

Going on Friday, he knows I'm coming over to try it out. He really didn't answer them better than you did, mainly just confirmed what you said. Bit of a sales pitch thrown in but that's OK.

Going on Friday, he knows I'm coming over to try it out. He really didn't answer them better than you did, mainly just confirmed what you said. Bit of a sales pitch thrown in but that's OK.

Play one of the Sully '71s while you're there & report back

I will say that when first got mine the usually "Marshall" settings weren't right for this amp.
Try something like
Bass:9:embarrassed:0-10:embarrassed:0
Mids: to taste. Right now I'm favoring a brighter tone so I'm at around 1:embarrassed:0
High: noon or slightly over...notice that when you go past noon the amp really seems to "open up".
Presence: 2:embarrassed:0-ish...also adjust to taste. At 3:embarrassed:0 and up the amp really gets bright.(but still sounds killer)
The best piece of advice I could give you with this amp is to use you're ears to adjust the settings and not you're eyes....
You'll notice 1st gear is naturally brighter...like a Plexi should be.
2nd/3rd gear have more low end thump.
Like I said ...these are Marshall flavored but they are their own beast.
Also....the OD volume should be at 10:embarrassed:0-11:embarrassed:0 and use the loop volume to get a more reasonable overall volume. Don't be afraid to push this amp....this thing comes alive when it's cooking.

So here's my current settings for reference.
Keep in mind that I'm playing through a Port City OS 2x12 cab so I'm not sure how the 1x12 cabinet the streetrod is in will translate:
2nd gear OD1 with a Les Paul Standard with BKP Rebel Yell pickups.

fcc9b28d2d935bd34eae622e997e789a.jpg
758f26bfa4917bf6a6877ed49c058240.jpg

The gain knob varies from time to time. In that pic it's dimed. Imo it's getting a good 1st album Skid Row type tone here. And I often adjust the presence and mid knobs as my ear warrants.
Even though the gear selector is in 1st gear, 2nd gear is the default setting. So when the foot switch is plugged in, set the gear selector to 1st gear and you can switch between 1st and 2nd gear.
Put it in 3rd gear on the selector and you switch between 2nd and 3rd. I'm not sure if the streetrod has the same 4 button switch as the Quickrod. Some of the amps use a 3 button in which case you have to manually change gears on the amp. (Iirc)

Last edited:
Yup, the Street Rod has the 3 button switch, gear switching needs to be done through the front panel. Not a big deal to me, that's how my Blackstar is. But the Blackstar doesn't have a "solo" switch which is way cool!

OK, dumb question... when you got your Splawn did you get a warranty card? They have a limited lifetime warranty (tubes, switches etc... are 90 days, which makes sense) for the original owner. I'm a bit leery of buying something that is discounted so much and I feel a bit like I'm being pushed to buy it before an amp show where it will likely be sold. Always a bit of a red flag when you get the "you better buy it now" spiel.

If there's warranty documentation then it's all good though...

No warranty card that I remember but the owners manual has the warranty info. I'll look at it when I get home from work (if I don't forget!)
I also believe the Splawn website has that info as well.
I would think that as long as you get a sales receipt from an authorized dealer, you're all good. You can email Scott directly and ask too. He is really good about returning email.

splawnguitars@gmail.com

Just emailed Splawn, see what happens, may give them a call tomorrow before I go test drive the Street Rod if I don't hear back.

OK, it's done... it's in my trunk!!!

So bottom line is that the loop volume control is your friend. This thing is LOUD!! I didn't even realize it was on half power until we were packing it up.

The gears are pretty subtle in their changes to the tone, definitely there and I see where they got the inspiration for them but I was expecting more of a difference between the gears. Same with OD1/OD2, OD2 has a bit more gain and "oomph" to it but not a huge difference.

So I was just messing with the channels/tones and I think I like third gear the best... just amazingly rich tone. Not fizzy high gain at all but plenty of sustain, pinch harmonics all the good stuff without the slop.

The clean channel sounds very good, rumor has it that Scott revamped and improved the clean channel I recent years. I really like it. Every bit as good and better than my Blackstar clean which has a really nice tone.

I did notice quite a difference in volume between the clean and OD channels when the loop volume was lower. As I turned it up they seemed to even out, anyone else noticed this?

The guy who sold it to me said that the room he had it in (hardwood floors etc...) killed the bass somewhat. I didn't see that at all. It was quite bassy, I cut the bass control down and it was better. Could be the Creamback that he has in there... no biggie, easily EQ'd to taste.

So I'm psyched to take it home and testdrive it more tonight.

I tried a few of his guitars and (good for me!) I liked my PRS the best. The EBMM Axis was really nice though, liked the neck. I tried one of the Sullys... not my cup of tea, couldn't jive with it at all. I think the intonation may have been out and the neck was way too wide for me (I have small hands). Sully looked gorgeous but again it wasn't for me.

So thanks for all the insight and help folks, I'm stoked!

Edit: I didn't see any of the "unforgiving" aspect of it for quite a while until I played Vertigo by U2, poorly, oof, it was ugly, not the amp, my playing!! It will make you a better player but it's not really a fight as some say, it's just an amp that is very clear... for good or bad. :grin:

Nice man! I'm glad you liked it.
Not sure why you heard a volume difference in the two channels....they each have an independent volume control.

Also....funny you should say you liked third gear....I was playing this morning before work and switched to 3rd and thought the same thing. Very rich tone with no fizziness or flub.
Dude.....just wait until that Creamback is broken in.....

Biggest time difference in the gears to me is from 1st to 2nd. 1st is definitely brighter and 2nd/3rd have that JCM low end thump with the palm muted chugging.
Did you see what I mean about the amp "opening up" with the treble past noon? And how the presence control is more effective for actually dialing in the highs?

Back