Spider V: The next generation of awfulness.

jp_nyc

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Line 6 announced the next iteration of Spider amps with this video:

If it wasn’t on the official Line 6 channel I’d assume this is a parody. It sounds like a teenager at Guitar Center abusing the insane channel. WTF?

Yeah, that tone sounded pretty crappy.

I would bet that it'll have some good usable tones though. Heck, my friend Paul that I jam with has one of those Spider Valve 100w heads, and it gets some killer hard rock and metal tones.

Quasi FRFR and a built-in wireless receiver. Kinda cool stuff. From what the L6 dudes are saying on TGP, it's pretty much the older models, but the delivery is a bit different (aforementioned sorta-FRFR and the Firehawk-style colored knob rings; drum loops, etc.). At least they released it without any way overblown PR about how revolutionary it is, etc.

I will give this a shot at GC for giggles, but I am still more intrigued by the Boss Katana.

I figure at some point the Yamaha audio tech has to reach the L6 modeling team.
You would have thought that there would have been some synergy to the acquisition, but so far, no dice.

You would have thought that there would have been some synergy to the acquisition, but so far, no dice.

They claim to still be separate entities, but I would imagine at some point there will be some cross-breeding.

Frankly, I would like to see a larger version of the THR10 - some thing a bit proportionally larger and louder; there are lots of players crying out for this.

I thought there was a THR100.

Here you go:

thr100hd-front-970-80.jpg

And only $600 or $800!

That acquisition might have been about distribution. Get Line 6 into every Yamaha dealer and vice-versa.

Here you go:

thr100hd-front-970-80.jpg

And only $600 or $800!

Thanks. After I posted, I thought, should of looked that up. Was I thinking of something else? Was it a typo I saw somewhere and, they just added an extra zero?

I actually love my line 6 gear. I had/have a Pod XT Live that is fantastic for recording and live applications. It's starting to die now, but after 8 or 9 years, you would expect that. I also gigged with a Spider Valve combo for a bit and I never got more compliments on my tone from sound guys than when i had that amp. I miss it for it's convenience. it's all how you dial it in

Line 6 amps have merit. Maybe not for you (or me), but for some people. Not everyone needs or wants tubes, etc. My pal has one of those Fender G-DEC amps. I love messing with that thing, it sounds great for what it is: an inexpensive route to pro-like tones.

Line 6 amps have merit. Maybe not for you (or me), but for some people. Not everyone needs or wants tubes, etc. My pal has one of those Fender G-DEC amps. I love messing with that thing, it sounds great for what it is: an inexpensive route to pro-like tones.

I have a G-Dec III 30 that I dropped an Eminence Ragin Cajun in and it sounds pretty decent. I loaded a shit-ton of custom backing tracks and songs into it and it is unequalled for solo practice/noodling around.

I wish someone would combine a decent hybrid tube amp (Micro Terror or Super Champ XD-type) with the built in backing tracks capabilities. If it sounded good, I'd buy that.

That acquisition might have been about distribution. Get Line 6 into every Yamaha dealer and vice-versa.

It was partly about getting the original engineers for Line 6 back, partly about getting extra funding for upcoming Line 6 projects, partly about favored access to Yamaha electronics and engineering, and very little about changing distribution. For now, anyway.

Back