Speaking of Triumph T's

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
I always wondered what happened to all the TR-7's. In the late 70s there were quite a few of them on the road - I guess they were pretty affordable for a sports car? And there was a widely-shown TV commercial some of you guys might remember, where the wedge-shaped car drives into the wedge-shaped trailer on the highway.

At some point in the 80s though, it seemed like they all vanished overnight. Maybe they had some kind of fatal mechanical flaw that made it not worth peoples' while to keep them running?

Anyway, it's probably for the best. That design looks horribly dated now IMO.

J086.jpg

When I was a kid, one of my dad's friends had a tr7. He only ever brought it over to our house one time.... The only one time that it was running long enough and all the lights/signals worked to drive it.

Reactions: OGG
I would love a TR8, It's a TR7 body with a 3.5 liter Rover V8.

But to answer the question above, British Leyland era cars were all horribly unreliable and prohibitively expense to maintain. Hence, most saw an early grave.

All the way through HS and into my young adult life the one car I always wanted to own was a Triumph Spitfire. I am not enough of a car mechanic to own one, but I still love them. Not a 'T' car, but still hot....

Triumph_Spitfire_1500_2.jpg

Last edited:
When I was in Jr. High a bunch of high schoolers had TR7s. Like you said, all of a sudden they disappeared.

It was made by British Leyland. I bet they all died or were stuck in a garage after 3 years.

All the way through HS and into my young adult life the one car I always wanted to own was a Triumph Spitfire. I am not enough of a car mechanic to own one, but I still love them. Not a 'T' car, but still hot....

Triumph_Spitfire_1500_2.jpg
There were hundreds of those around here back then, being so close to an air force base. But also being right on the Gulf of Mexico, you could literally watch them rust away.

Back