Speaking of playing for free...

shoeless

Riffin'
...this popped up on my local CL. I get that he's probably light on cash at this point, but I dunno that he's going to get much response, especially from "awesome" bands. Just a hunch. :shrug:

Looking for Musicians for gig (Frederick)

hello out there- I'm opening a new shop in D.C. and I'm looking for some awesome bands to come play at our Grand Opening. There should be about 150-200 people in attendance so please, professionals only. Opening this business has taken a lot of money-- so at this point, I'm not able to offer any reimbursement. But there will be a table where you can put out band merch and a tip jar if you'd like. If interested, please send link to band page.

Funny -- he says professionals only, but doesn't want to pay (which says 'amateur' to me). I guess he has champagne expectations on a tapwater budget...

Somebody responded to his ad publicly.

Is this a charity event? If not, why are you asking for "professionals" to render their time and talent for free so that you can derive benefit both in terms of exposure and financially? Please do not ask people to work for free unless it is for charity or volunteerism. Don't think either of these applies in this case. Thank You.

If I had a band I would contact him to see what kind of shop it is. I have plenty plenty of shows for free just to get the bands name out and get some exposure. But unlike most of the folks here, I have always been in band playing our own music, not covers. So we always had merch to sell and usually upcoming paying gigs to promote. Depending on the shop, location in DC and the type of folks he is expecting to have there, I would consider it.

I'd tell him I'll come hang out, drink/eat for free, and if it's any good, I'll tell a few friends.

Ridiculous.

What a schmuck.

If it's not in your budget, then you are already a doomed business before you even open to the public. If he has truly spent all he can spend, then he has no safety net, no working capital, no payroll fund, no inventory replenishment fund, no marketing fund, no emergency expenditure fund... basically, he's a shitty business owner. Most likely the type of guy who is a nightmare to work for. Pays his employees late or short, or his payroll checks bounce. Next thing you know, he owes everybody money that he doesn't have... vendors, employees, utilities etc.

Then he'll cry victim, start the predictable and inevitable "Vendor Roulette" game wherein he buys whatever he can from whomever is willing to extend him credit. Customers notice the random inconsistencies in product and begin to drop off like flies. Eventually his shit goes on the auction block by order of the Bankruptcy Court.

Sure asshole. I'll play for free at your combination "Grand Opening/Going out of Business" party.

Fuck that guy in his stupid fucking meathead face.

What a schmuck.

If it's not in your budget, then you are already a doomed business before you even open to the public. If he has truly spent all he can spend, then he has no safety net, no working capital, no payroll fund, no inventory replenishment fund, no marketing fund, no emergency expenditure fund... basically, he's a shitty business owner. Most likely the type of guy who is a nightmare to work for. Pays his employees late or short, or his payroll checks bounce. Next thing you know, he owes everybody money that he doesn't have... vendors, employees, utilities etc.

Then he'll cry victim, start the predictable and inevitable "Vendor Roulette" game wherein he buys whatever he can from whomever is willing to extend him credit. Customers notice the random inconsistencies in product and begin to drop off like flies. Eventually his shit goes on the auction block by order of the Bankruptcy Court.

Sure asshole. I'll play for free at your combination "Grand Opening/Going out of Business" party.

Fuck that guy in his stupid fucking meathead face.

...or, he's just saying that it's not in the budget because he's a tightwad and simply is trying to fish for desperate people.

Either way, I agree with the last line :embarrassed:.

In my area there are a ton of bands made up of 40 and 50 somethings that will take a gig like this ,then stink up the place so badly they will run everyone out
I call that Poetic Justice

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to create a completely fictional "band" with a killer Web page and all that sweet marketing media that would make a guy like this pop a chubby when you offer to take them up on it.

Then on the day of the event, show up as one guy looking like a hobo proctologist/Seasick Steve with a broom handle attached to a skillet and two strings. After the the 3rd or 4th song about Possum stew, your work should be done.

I was back on CL today, to see that this topic had escalated a bit. Is one of you guys doing this? :lol:

Where we left off, someone (I'll call him Band) had responded:
Is this a charity event? If not, why are you asking for "professionals" to render their time and talent for free so that you can derive benefit both in terms of exposure and financially? Please do not ask people to work for free unless it is for charity or volunteerism. Don't think either of these applies in this case. Thank You.
To which the OP replied:
Please don't tell me what I can and can't do. Thank you. Ps mind your business.
which Band answered with:
First of all, you've certainly chosen the wrong forum to argue with me about this topic. Second, how about this:

Why don't you give me a bunch of free stuff from your store. I'll tell everyone what store my new stuff is from and I'll have a little jar hanging around my neck that people can put "contributions" into based on how much spare change they have in their pockets at the time. I talk to a lot of people every day. You'll get great exposure, maybe some future customers. I'll give you all the spare change from the jar. I'm sure you'll be able to cover most of your cost of doing business with it. STOP ASKING PEOPLE TO PROVIDE SERVICES FOR FREE. Oh yeah, thank you.
OP:
Have a look back and see who started the argument. I didn't break any forum rules when I posted. But you probably don't have time to read CL rules- what, with all the time you spend patrolling the forums. Your (very predictable) replies--that everyone sees in Balto and DC-- should be flagged. Keep diggin', man. This is fun.
Band:
You are right. I did start this. I am fed up with people asking musicians to render their time and talent for free, especially when the originator is benefitting and it's not a charity event. Yes, I am also aware that this is viewed throughout the DMV. Exactly why I'm raising this issue. You didn't break any rules. Neither have I. I am hoping enough people see this and boycott events that request musicians (or anyone else for that matter) to work for free. And yes, this is fun........especially if I'm impacting your ability to recruit free labor. Your shovel is actually working better than mine.
Then, what appears to be yet a third party chimed in with:
Your personal campaign....carried out on the boards of Craigslist, day after day after day. So indignant....that you can't even recognize a troll. Hook, line, and sinker.

Good times...

Not me.

I wouldn't bother, but if I did, there would be no reply from the other guy :)

Classic re-direction. Notice how he doesn't even try to justify his poor behavior re: asking for free services, because at the end of the day, he knows he's a douche. I know so many "business" owners like this it's not even funny. \

One of the producers I work for might as well be this guy, and some of us regular musicians with him always see it coming, too -- "Oh, by the way, would you mind singing backing vocals/playing another instrument/helping with musical direction/etc. on this?"...We can see it coming whenever he says, "Oh, by the way...", and of course there's no mention of any additional money for those tasks. Ok, I feel better now. Rant over.

Kind of sounds like this guy.

149896-Office-Space-Lumbergh-thatd-be-2v6U-300x242.jpeg

Back