Speakers/Cab recomendation?

Lovac

Taco of Death
Sup guys,

I think I am ready to purchase my first cab. I read a bit about the Avatar cabs, and allot of people like them. Also they seemed good value for the money. Here is what I was thinking a 2x12 cab, loaded with Celestion speakers.

The problem I am faced with is the speakers, which to pick. I am trying to find the right speaker that is going to work well with the amp. I like the AC/DC, GNR, Black Sabath, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix distortion. So I am looking for a speaker that will do those tones well.

I hear allot about the Vintage 30’s, Greenbacks etc. I don’t know which ones will work good for me?

Also as volume is concerned would I be better of getting a 1x12 cab instead, or will 2x12 have same volume just a little be more fuller and more bottom end? Or will two speakers be twice as loud as one, because both of them are running at the same volume?

Thanks

I am very partial to Greenbacks, but I think for your preferences maybe the Vintage 30's would be the way to go.

I think that you'll have more volume but a better sound with the 2x12 with your Marshall....the volume difference won't be as big of a factor as the tone.

You definitely don't have a bedroom amp smi

Watch your local Craigslist...every day. I bought a sweet, built like a tank, bottom, 4 12 loaded with celestions for 100 bucks. The other guitar player in the band bought a Laney slant 4 12 with Jensen MOD's (Celestion clones) for 100 bucks. A little patience will pay off. heavy-metal-044

markwein said:
I am very partial to Greenbacks, but I think for your preferences maybe the Vintage 30's would be the way to go.

I think that you'll have more volume but a better sound with the 2x12 with your Marshall....the volume difference won't be as big of a factor as the tone.

You definitely don't have a bedroom amp smi

I know mark, thats the thing, why i was not sure about how many speakers i need. But i think even with one speaker it would be loud. I think i will get the 2x12's. now its just trying to get the right speakers, got to find some clips to see how Vintage 30's sound. :)

telecaster911 said:
Watch your local Craigslist...every day. I bought a sweet, built like a tank, bottom, 4 12 loaded with celestions for 100 bucks. The other guitar player in the band bought a Laney slant 4 12 with Jensen MOD's (Celestion clones) for 100 bucks. A little patience will pay off. heavy-metal-044

Hmm i seen some good deals on there, will take a look. :)

I'd go with a 212. It won't be much louder than a 112, but it'll give you a much fuller sound.

I personally love the Celestion G12H30. I've got one in my Classic 30 with a Greenback in the extension cab. Love that combination.

Also, about Avatar, they'll let you mix and match speakers, so if you want 2 different speakers in the cab, they will do that. Also, their Hellatone speaker is nothing more than a Celestion G12H30 that's already broken in, and it's cheaper than buying a G12H30, even though it's the exact same speaker.

I've also heard good things about Warehouse Guitar Speakers, but I haven't ever tried them personally.

http://warehousespeakers.com/products.php?cat=9&PHPSESSID=632719cf2db1d709a2b594b44757188b

Back