Speakers/Cab recomendation?

Discussion in 'The Loudhouse' started by Lovac, Dec 8, 2008.

Dec 8, 2008
  1. Lovac n00b

Sup guys,

I think I am ready to purchase my first cab. I read a bit about the Avatar cabs, and allot of people like them. Also they seemed good value for the money. Here is what I was thinking a 2x12 cab, loaded with Celestion speakers.

The problem I am faced with is the speakers, which to pick. I am trying to find the right speaker that is going to work well with the amp. I like the AC/DC, GNR, Black Sabath, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix distortion. So I am looking for a speaker that will do those tones well.

I hear allot about the Vintage 30’s, Greenbacks etc. I don’t know which ones will work good for me?

Also as volume is concerned would I be better of getting a 1x12 cab instead, or will 2x12 have same volume just a little be more fuller and more bottom end? Or will two speakers be twice as loud as one, because both of them are running at the same volume?

Thanks

2. Dec 8, 2008
  3. Mark Wein :mad:

I am very partial to Greenbacks, but I think for your preferences maybe the Vintage 30's would be the way to go.

I think that you'll have more volume but a better sound with the 2x12 with your Marshall....the volume difference won't be as big of a factor as the tone.

You definitely don't have a bedroom amp smi

4. Dec 8, 2008
  5. Watch your local Craigslist...every day. I bought a sweet, built like a tank, bottom, 4 12 loaded with celestions for 100 bucks. The other guitar player in the band bought a Laney slant 4 12 with Jensen MOD's (Celestion clones) for 100 bucks. A little patience will pay off. heavy-metal-044

6. Dec 8, 2008
  7. Lovac n00b

I know mark, thats the thing, why i was not sure about how many speakers i need. But i think even with one speaker it would be loud. I think i will get the 2x12's. now its just trying to get the right speakers, got to find some clips to see how Vintage 30's sound. :)

8. Dec 8, 2008
  9. Lovac n00b

Hmm i seen some good deals on there, will take a look. :)

10. Dec 8, 2008
  11. I've got a 2 12 cab w/vin 30s in it. Let me see if I can find some clips for you.

12. Dec 8, 2008
  13. Prages User Error

I'd go with a 212. It won't be much louder than a 112, but it'll give you a much fuller sound.

I personally love the Celestion G12H30. I've got one in my Classic 30 with a Greenback in the extension cab. Love that combination.

Also, about Avatar, they'll let you mix and match speakers, so if you want 2 different speakers in the cab, they will do that. Also, their Hellatone speaker is nothing more than a Celestion G12H30 that's already broken in, and it's cheaper than buying a G12H30, even though it's the exact same speaker.

I've also heard good things about Warehouse Guitar Speakers, but I haven't ever tried them personally.

http://warehousespeakers.com/products.php?cat=9&PHPSESSID=632719cf2db1d709a2b594b44757188b

14. Dec 8, 2008
  15. Dec 8, 2008
  16. Lovac n00b

thanks guys,

telecaster i will check those out, thank you for the clips. smi