Speaker upgrade for the ST

Steverino

black sheep
I had a four-day weekend, so I thought I'd go ahead and tackle this job. The ST1 has a no-frills basic system, no amp, no sub; just 4 crappy speakers (one in each door) and two tweeters (front doors).

I bought 4 Infinity speakers, tweeters and crossovers. I didn't cut any corners so all connections are either stock or were soldered.

What's pretty cool with these new cars is all the parts simply snap together, like a full-scale model car. The only tools I needed were a T25 Torx and my fingers/fingernails. You still have to use your man-muscle and pop the panels off, and those annoying white plastic thingies are still being used.

I worked from door to door, installing the new speakers, crossovers and tweeters. The back doors didn't have tweeters, but the hole pattern is there on the inside of the panel for one, so I got out the hole saw. That was a bit unnerving cutting holes in a brand new car.

CA7846C9-3282-4265-8A40-F880CBFD6A1E_zpszjndaaxw.jpg

When I do something like this, the finished job should look like nothing was done; ie no wires hanging out, no hackjobs, no aftermarket speaker grilles. Retain the stock look. The tweeters for the front doors are up in that little forward corner of the window. That's where the stock tweeters were, and now hold the new Infintys. The new speakers are in place, and the crossovers are mounted inbetween the water shield and the inside door panel, so they won't get wet. This was done for each door.

914548FA-AE1F-4ADD-A392-1BF040F8C0C0_zpsv6fbk6d6.jpg

The only evidence that the upgrade was done, other than the obvious 1000% improvement in sound quality, are the new tweeters in the back doors. The STs with the upgraded Sony system have them in this same spot, so this is acceptable in my book. These Infinitys actually swivel, so I can point them forward towards me just a bit.

Anyway, now I'm wondering if I should even go forward with the amp/sub that's next. The new speakers have increased the overall bass response so much that I'm going to have to think about that one!

Well done. I'm waiting for a shipment from Crutchfield today to upgrade my van that I'm driving again.
Crutchfield can be a life-saver when it comes to those adaptor rings they sell for door speakers. Nowadays the OEM stock speakers and the adaptor are molded into one piece. Hell, the whole speaker is plastic, basket and all. Junk.

Looks good! I did a speaker swap last week. Even inexpensive aftermarket speakers can be a huge upgrade in SQ over factory units.

Something to consider is skipping the adapter rings from places like crutchfield unless they are vehicle specific or you're certain they will not require modification to fit your application (most are generic). I go to a local plastic supply and get some dirt cheap clear acrylic to make a template and equally dirt cheap HDPE for the adapter. TAP plastics sells scrap cuts for pennies on the pound and the materials for my last one was $4. By the time you start hacking up the scoche or metra plates, you might as well just cut your own.

Looks good! I did a speaker swap last week. Even inexpensive aftermarket speakers can be a huge upgrade in SQ over factory units.

Something to consider is skipping the adapter rings from places like crutchfield unless they are vehicle specific or you're certain they will not require modification to fit your application (most are generic). I go to a local plastic supply and get some dirt cheap clear acrylic to make a template and equally dirt cheap HDPE for the adapter. TAP plastics sells scrap cuts for pennies on the pound and the materials for my last one was $4. By the time you start hacking up the scoche or metra plates, you might as well just cut your own.

Well, this may sound crude, but here's what I did: I removed the stock speakers and cut the adapter part off them. They're all plastic, even the baskets. I took a a pair of cutters and literally destroyed them to salvage the adapter/ring piece. The new speakers fit perfectly in that ring, which of course went right back in the door in its original position, and the factory speaker connector plugged right in (I soldered the new speaker to the factory plug-in on the ring), and the finished result looks stock. I really hated hacking up those speakers, but they were terrible, and I would've eventually just thrown 'em away.

Well, this may sound crude, but here's what I did: I removed the stock speakers and cut the adapter part off them. They're all plastic, even the baskets. I took a a pair of cutters and literally destroyed them to salvage the adapter/ring piece. The new speakers fit perfectly in that ring, which of course went right back in the door in its original position, and the factory speaker connector plugged right in (I soldered the new speaker to the factory plug-in on the ring), and the finished result looks stock. I really hated hacking up those speakers, but they were terrible, and I would've eventually just thrown 'em away.
Gets the job done!

For whatever reason I always like to keep the stock parts so when I sell a vehicle, I can include all the pieces to return it to factory.

Gets the job done!

For whatever reason I always like to keep the stock parts so when I sell a vehicle, I can include all the pieces to return it to factory.

I try to do that too. I kept the hood prop rod when I upgraded to hood struts, even the stock air filter that I replaced so I can hear the bov. But those speakers were sooo bad...No one would want to put those things back in :grin:

Riding in to work this morning was a pleasure. Perfect weather, and the new sound system was wonderful. The difference is astounding. I have a feeling I'm not going to be satisfied though and will go on to the amp/sub. I've already bought a line converter and I have 2 subs on hand. Just need a 5-channel amp.

Crutchfield can be a life-saver when it comes to those adaptor rings they sell for door speakers. Nowadays the OEM stock speakers and the adaptor are molded into one piece. Hell, the whole speaker is plastic, basket and all. Junk.

My son had used Crutchfield in the past, this is my first go. A nice surprise was that where I live in Virginia it's overnight shipping free due to being a state away. The stock radio in my van stopped playing 5 out of 6 speakers. Four 6x9's and two 4 something rounds in the dash. So to start I doing a radio, sub and amp. I've looked at the 4 6x9's and they're old, metal with decent size magnets and the cones are still flexible. I'm hoping they will last a while longer and sound as good as they did, or better, prior.

I did a speaker upgrade and amp installation in my Forester. Huge improvement. I put in Focal speakers and an Alpine amp. I found two guys in a Forester forum, one who made speaker brackets from 3/4" PVC, and another who made wiring harnesses. Those two things made the job easier and better.

I need to do an upgrade for my Cruze sometime. I have the unit set with the bass all the way up, and the sound is still mid-range/treble heavy.

I did a speaker upgrade and amp installation in my Forester. Huge improvement. I put in Focal speakers and an Alpine amp. I found two guys in a Forester forum, one who made speaker brackets from 3/4" PVC, and another who made wiring harnesses. Those two things made the job easier and better.
Aren't the Focals pretty pricey? I've heard really good things about 'em. I settled for the Infinitys, so far so good.

I need to do an upgrade for my Cruze sometime. I have the unit set with the bass all the way up, and the sound is still mid-range/treble heavy.
You could probably take some treble out with the head unit's controls. Mine didn't have enough, and now I'm having to trim the bass down from it's maximum.

I have remote bass control that I haven't installed yet. It's connected to the line converter and allows you to control the sub (that I also haven't installed :embarrassed:)

Aren't the Focals pretty pricey? I've heard really good things about 'em. I settled for the Infinitys, so far so good.
Pricey is relative, of course. I paid $450 for the fronts and rears total. The rears are coaxial, and the fronts are component; woofer and separate tweeter.

I bet that sounds great. I guess my next thing will be to find a decent 5-channel amp.
If you get a powered sub, you only need a 4-channel amp. I got this Alpine: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP445U/Alpine-KTP-445U-Power-Pack.html?tp=115.
45 watts/channel, and very compact. I put it behind the AC controls.The instructions say to wire it directly to the battery, but I (and most people) wired it to the power on the back of the factory head unit, and it's fine. No problem with blowing fuses, and it's plenty loud.

If you get a powered sub, you only need a 4-channel amp. I got this Alpine: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP445U/Alpine-KTP-445U-Power-Pack.html?tp=115.
45 watts/channel, and very compact. I put it behind the AC controls.The instructions say to wire it directly to the battery, but I (and most people) wired it to the power on the back of the factory head unit, and it's fine. No problem with blowing fuses, and it's plenty loud.

I already have 2 subs; a single 12" and a 2x10. The car's space back there is going to be tight, so I'm probably going with the single 12.

Back