Space Station Fly Overs

That's no moon, that's a space station!

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: Tig
I saw it about a month ago. It was very early in the morning (like 4am) and I wondered out into the garage and had smoke.

It was purely by accident that I saw it, but that's what it was.

I have seen several. Usually by pure luck. It's always very obvious that it's ISS and not a normal satellite passover. A quick check to quell my curiosity always confirms.

I am very curious how much brighter it will be when viewed from the new house. We are at a much higher altitude, and have substantially less light pollution here.

Well, tonight don't look good... it's piss in down rain and completely overcast after weeks of crystal blue skies.

I've caught it maybe 3-4 times. The first was spectacular, I couldn't believe how bright it was. The other times you had to know just where to look to find it, I guess the conditions and position of the ISS and sun weren't as favorable.

You can get an email from NASA to alert you when a flyover will be above 30 degrees. My wife gets em. Don't know the url but it shouldn't be hard to find. We observe it quite frequently. Mrs. Pine likes to wave at them.

I was surprised to actually capture it with my cellphone. I took a 4k video. Let me see if I can get it up on youtube just for fun.

I have a $4 app on my phone called "Sky Guide" that alerts me ISS flyovers and Iridium satellite flares (very impressive!). It also does a million more things, none of which I use.

You just tell it what you want to see, hold the phone up at arms length, and it gives you an arrow telling you which way to move your phone. When you get to the right spot, you'll be looking at the object in question.

Back