"Space-Saver" spares

On my front wheel drive cars if I had a flat on the front axle I would always put the donut on the rear axle and move the regular tire from the back to the front. If I had a rear flat, regardless of FWD or RWD it stayed on the back until I could change it out. I never drove with them on the front axle.

I think that makes good sense. Even on a RWD vehicle, I'd rather have the donut on the rear since the steering always happens up front.

My '90 Cherokee still has the original full sized spare in the back.
I guess I should check it for dry rot.Winter is coming.

My '90 Cherokee still has the original full sized spare in the back.
I guess I should check it for dry rot.Winter is coming.

I sure wouldn't want to drive far on a 25 year old tire in the first place....dry rot or not.

I've done 40 or so miles on a mini spare before. I wasn't worried but was able to avoid highways completely. My CR-V is the older version with the full sized spare mounted on the back. I much prefer that arrangement.
I've checked around some forums and even though the S10's spare holder cable was made to hold a little space-saver, many put full-sized spares under there and they hold. Good to know, because the full size tire/wheel is heavy, 16x8, 245/50R/16. I'll feel much better knowing it's there.

On a side note, last Thursday I stopped to help and old guy change his flat on the side of I-10, just east of New Orleans. His left rear had blown. He had a jack, but no handle :messedup: I grabbed my jack and got his spare on, only to discover it was flat :messedup: I grabbed my 12V compressor and filled it up, and he was on his way. I carry the usual stuff, basic tools, duct tape, coat hangers, WD40, gallon of water, jumper cables, spare belts, etc.

Reactions: Tig
Best practice is always have the space saver spare on the rear of the car. Prages nailed the exact reason: steering and control. The only time I might vary from that would be a truck with larger than stock tires, that is 2WD with LSD. In that scenario you're screwed either way. You can put it on the front and drive real slow or put it on the back and grenade your diff.

Flat spare: pretty common. All tires lose air naturally over time. Some more than others depending on the materials. You should always check the pressure in your spare no less than once a year.

The DOT says that a tire is beyond its safe operating age after 8 years from date of manufacturing as can be determined via the standardized nomenclature on the inner sidewall of all DOT approved tires. This is due to natural degradation of the rubber, and internal wear caused by the elements. Most older tires will have badly rusted steel belts due to years of condensation build up that allows moisture to penetrate the porous rubber.

The two most widely used types of rubber are Halobutyle and Chlorobutyle. The former is known for being less porous and therefore offers better air retention and slower degradation. The later being more porous, tends to degrade faster and lose air quicker.

Anything under the Goodyear family of brands (Dunlop, Kelly Springfield etc) uses the "H" type. Anything under the Michelin family of brands (BF Goodrich, Uniroyal etc) uses the "C" type, the same is also true for the Bridgestone/Firestone family, the Continental/General family and the Pirelli family (depending on individual tire model).

Pirelli also use a 5 piece centrifugal press to assemble their tires from 5 sections as opposed to the 2 piece/2 section Clamshell press that is the standard.

Most elite level super car tires (think Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Z06 etc) such as certain Michelin Pilot Sports, Goodyear Eagle F1s etc use little or no actual rubber in their construction, but are instead the result of man-made compounds. These are most easily distinguished by the sound (or lack thereof) that they make during a lock up or burn out. Rubber tires "squeal", composite tires "scratch".

Is that tire nerdy enough for you guys?

:)

Yeah, space savers blow. Uh, poor choice of words there... :tongue:

My Subaru Forester had a full-size spare. Damn, I miss that car.

car-jack-tire-change-fail.jpg

Sure, I have a spare that'll work...
dubs-a-heeya41.jpeg

:facepalm:

I had to order a replacement for a RR tire that's starting to separate (ran it under-inflated for 40+ miles :embarrassed:) and didn't want to have just one new tire and 3 others at 75% so I ordered 2. I figured I'd put the other new tire on the LR. That leaves a tire that could be a decent, full-sized spare. So I found a 16x8 wheel on Ebay. When it gets here (and the 2 tires) I'll take them all down to the tire place and get 'em swapped around.

Ordered the 2 identical replacements from Discount Tire. They arrived yesterday, and so did the spare wheel I had to pay an arm and leg for from Ebay.

E512DD90-2CD9-4962-A5DF-0E1C92039B58_zpstipb0pne.jpg

Just dropped the truck off, they'll try to line up the front as well, it's pulling to the left.

After I get it home I'll dump the donut and install the full-sized spare under the bed. Getting a little weary of all this maintenance lately, but you can't screw around with your only DD when you're driving 100 miles a day.

Back