Sound-check....because, you know...you got a good system.

Love the song, but the solo is kind of weird.
It sounds out of place like it came from something else.
It definitely sounds punched in.

Yet, it's not much different live.
Weird.
Skip to 3:40-ish for the solo.

Am I the only one that think it fits? Maybe I've just listened to a ton of Rush in my day.

One of my favorite Alex solos of all time.

Just the sounds he coaxes from that PRS, good stuff.

And yes, I agree it sounds "Punched in", but that's kind of what I like about the solo.

I saw them do that live on that tour and it was a highlight of the show for me. (and La Villa Strangiata, of course....)

Neil's drums where he starts riding the off-beat on the ride cymbal makes me sexually aroused, every time. I actually listen to this sometimes before going to bed with my wife.

The epitome of Rush, in my opinion.

Love this one.

One of my fav later era Rush tunes.

Alex is almost always interesting and one of the few hard rock guitarists who managed a great chorused tone.

Speaking of soundchecks.

One of my fav later era Rush tunes.

Alex is almost always interesting and one of the few hard rock guitarists who managed a great chorused tone.

Speaking of soundchecks.

Boy, that picks up, now doesn't it? YIKES.

I saw Mr Big (Billy Sheehan) open for Rush on the Presto tour (I think).
One of the tours I've seen, in any event.

Rush's entertainment that tour (vs a big screen, or washer/dryers, or rotisserie chickens or what-have-you) was a puppet show.

I shit you not.

:lol:

It was pretty awesome, in a very low-tech kind of way. You had to laugh.....all these lasers, lights, amps and shit all over the stage, and then there's this little puppet show going on. So campy that it was cool. I remember laughing out loud.

I always dug Alex's PRS era sound the most. Since he switched over to Gibson LPs, his sound has just become muddy live and sounds less "raw". JMHO, but the last couple of tours I didn't care for the sound. I can only equate it with the switch from PRS to LPs. Some stuff sounded great, sure.....like Tom Sawyer, but a lot of the tunes it just didn't "punch" through the mix like it seemed to when he was playing PRS.

Last edited:
Just the sounds he coaxes from that PRS, good stuff.

And yes, I agree it sounds "Punched in", but that's kind of what I like about the solo.

I saw them do that live on that tour and it was a highlight of the show for me. (and La Villa Strangiata, of course....)

Neil's drums where he starts riding the off-beat on the ride cymbal makes me sexually aroused, every time. I actually listen to this sometimes before going to bed with my wife.

The epitome of Rush, in my opinion.

Love this one.
TIL that Kong likes to get freaky with his wife to Rush.

Boy, that picks up, now doesn't it? YIKES.

I saw Mr Big (Billy Sheehan) open for Rush on the Presto tour (I think).
One of the tours I've seen, in any event.

Rush's entertainment that tour (vs a big screen, or washer/dryers, or rotisserie chickens or what-have-you) was a puppet show.

I shit you not.

:lol:

It was pretty awesome, in a very low-tech kind of way. You had to laugh.....all these lasers, lights, amps and shit all over the stage, and then there's this little puppet show going on. So campy that it was cool. I remember laughing out loud.

I always dug Alex's PRS era sound the most. Since he switched over to Gibson LPs, his sound has just become muddy live and sounds less "raw". JMHO, but the last couple of tours I didn't care for the sound. I can only equate it with the switch from PRS to LPs. Some stuff sounded great, sure.....like Tom Sawyer, but a lot of the tunes it just didn't "punch" through the mix like it seemed to when he was playing PRS.

IIRC, Alex said in the past that he was considering going back to using mostly Gibsons, and it was Geddy that kind of validated the decision, because Geddy thought the PRSes came across a bit thin live :shrug:.

IIRC, Alex said in the past that he was considering going back to using mostly Gibsons, and it was Geddy that kind of validated the decision, because Geddy thought the PRSes came across a bit thin live :shrug:.

Hmmm maybe he said that, but PRS solid body humbucker guitars in my experience are kinda thick and muddy.

*shrug*

Probably has more to do with Gibson giving Alex a signature model :thu:

Any nerds know what Lifeson's primary guitar was on Vapor Trails?

Last edited:
Love the song, but the solo is kind of weird.
It sounds out of place like it came from something else.
It definitely sounds punched in.

Yet, it's not much different live.
Weird.
Skip to 3:40-ish for the solo.

Holy fuck, I was at that show. I loved how some of the newer material sound a little heavier live than on cd. Great memories of that show.

Last edited:
Back