Sooooo... I got this today...

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
83D649CD-8AA7-4C12-BFFF-001FF2A6C78C.jpg

Fender Jazzmaster Blacktop HH with red stripe

I'll be honest. Totally not impressed by this guitar. I can't believe these go for $500 new. It plays ok and sounds ok but it's nothing special. I don't know if it will be staying.

I don't know if I've been spoiled with my other guitars but this one is meh so far.

I don't know if I've been spoiled with my other guitars but this one is meh so far.
Well yeah, john...you've been playing serious top shelf instruments for awhile now, guitars that have pedigree...guitars that would be at home in the hands of the world's greatest players...and you're comparing them to a mass produced budget instrument made overseas with limited quality control...of course it isn't going to compare favorably...

I for one have never fallen for the "cheap as good as premium" myth...I know there's no way a 500.00 guitar is going to feel as good in the hands of a top player...I play the budget instruments for 2 reasons...1. I can't afford or rationalize it...and 2. I'm not a good enough player to be able to appreciate, or for that matter,be able to tell the difference...

But you are a apprehended and play in a style in which you should be able to feel the difference...and now you've proven that you can...

Appreciate your fair and honest review. After seeing the top-shelf axes you own, or have owned, I have no doubt that one will feel like a lesser instrument; it is.

It's a numbers game.

If you wanna grab a great Fender or Fender-style, then hit up the biggest music store you can find and try everything on the shelf until you find something special. That's what I did for my telecaster. I tried more than 30, including high-end brands like Suhr, and I was shocked that I ended up with a MIM, and was irritated that it was 'road-worn'.

Everything else that I own are 4-5 digit instruments.

Last edited:
Sorry it didn't live up to your hopes. It's possible that your disappointment should be limited to that specific guitar. Then again, as has been noted, you have had the pleasure of playing some very high quality guitars, so this series may just not meet your standards. Either way, if it didn't float my boat, I'd send it back, too.

It's a numbers game.

If you wanna grab a great Fender or Fender-style, then hit up the biggest music store you can find and try everything on the shelf until you find something special. That's what I did for my telecaster. I tried more than 30s, including high-end brands like Suhr, and I was shocked that I ended up with a MIM, and was irritated that it was 'road-worn'.

Everything else that I own are 4-5 digit instruments.

This, a million times over. Also, for the OP: aside from your personal reputation as a compulsive flipper, were you to attempt to find a reason to keep this, you really need to look at most FMIC guitars as works-in-progress when you purchase them. They usually need ... love and attention. And not just immediate stuff, either, taken care of with set up and a file: often they need time to settle down a bit, and then can (not will, but can) start working themselves into good guitars.

It's how it is under a grand with Fender, and often over a grand, too.

As for that particular axe, I can't see a reason to be sentimental - the stoptail and HB's mean that it's a "Jazzmaster" in name only.

While mine isn't the best guitar I own, it certainly plays and sounds good.

I think it's every bit as nice as any other $500 guitar I've played.

Last edited:
I spent a bit of time playing it unplugged today and it felt and sounded fine. Plugged it in again and hated the pickups.

The pickups are probably my favorite part of it. They sound great with my Classic 30 on the overdrive channel.

Then again, most guitars sound great through the overdrive channel of my Classic 30.

The pickups are probably my favorite part of it. They sound great with my Classic 30 on the overdrive channel.

Then again, most guitars sound great through the overdrive channel of my Classic 30.

Excellent amp for sure

I spent a bit of time playing it unplugged today and it felt and sounded fine. Plugged it in again and hated the pickups.

You have a decision to make then. Drop some other pups in hoping it works out, or cut your losses and retun it or flip it depending on how you bought it.

Back