Songs Dad used to play in the truck when I was a lad...

It wasn't a truck - more of a Pinto station wagon.

There were a lot but, for some reason, these are the ones I remember:

Here is the aforementioned Pinto, by the way.

1977-Ford-Pinto-Cruising-Wagon-rvl.jpg

Dad was a big Carly Simon fan (and why wouldn't he be? :wink: )...and although this doesn't really count, I always think of him when I hear it, so fuck it, here we go....great song, btw.

This is a great thread, btw......every once in awhile, I will hear some "AM Gold" song that brings me back to being a kid in the back of our 1972 Chevy metallic green station wagon with vinyl seats that was the size of a fucking land-yacht, (which had a transmission leak...so my dad just kept pouring more fluid into it at every fill up), and I am instantly transported to that moment in time.

:) Ahhh, yes...dad.....what a character.

When I was a kid, my step dad listened to nothing but country.

Probably why I still mostly hate it.

We didn't have a car for most of my childhood, but what I do remember was my father listening to Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Ernest Tubb, Johnny Cash, Conway Twitty, Buck Owens...well, you get the picture.

My dad wasn't much of a music listener. He sat me down once and told me the lyrics of Kenny Rogers' "Know When To Fold 'Em" were words to heed by.

Nice ones so far. Dad played a lot of Jim Croce too--but that was on vinyl.

Couldn't tell you the names of any of the bands other than The Kingston Trio. My dad was in a Bluegrass band so all his favorites were Bluegrass bands that I found completely unlistenable. My mom on the other hand had great taste in music. Dean Martin, Jim Reeves, Sinatra and Elvis were on the regular play list. I still love listening to Dean Martin and Jim Reeves.

I can't remember my dad ever listening to anything in the car.
Same here.

Which is odd, because my dad loved music, loved to sing.

My dad liked big-band era stuff though, and my mom listened to gospel that had just a hint of twang to it, not the full blown country stuff. Now that I think about it, my dad never sang along to the twangy gospel, so I'm thinking he didn't care for it much either. And I don't think my mom was a big fan of big-band orchestras....

We didn't have a car for most of my childhood, but what I do remember was my father listening to Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Ernest Tubb, Johnny Cash, Conway Twitty, Buck Owens...well, you get the picture.

Wow. Your dad and mine were the same dude? My long lost brother! Give us a hug.

Back