Sometimes you wonder.

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
This was on a Facebook feed from a local musician friend:

Just spent a hour on the phone with Verizon over there outrageous Bill and there hidden fees they have I'm so pissed off I'm just about done with them they were trying to charge me a extra 50$ for a plan change which I was told was free they told me sorry but it's a valid charge I said sorry I'm in front of a AT&T store ready to go in!!! I got 87$ knocked off the bill imagine that !!!! Hehe !

The Grammar Nazi in me doesn't know where to begin. I think, perhaps, what really got to me is that the exclamation point seems to be the only working punctuation key on his computer.
EJhjfxk3bEBApAUUcTw2Cb8BfLiSb_x_3Vto1uhbxdiubarpf_QfbP7acHxl5Fdize5cVK-GwIh1Xjf1gl761pGzBuMAfSml2fkCAAXypSBIPci6mL1ceQujLoEmqvNd52l7TV3opDrx38LzGAeRfj_43TVbvZoR1MZNbgn9Z0DU9RQ9hjuc01Beh9rFt3S9k3x9raKlQcpIzokClxYYVuOGVJeZr2lGAs00P-3K2uBsrTpvHJtTz2M-Kb-y78_SzwSpzR3Xi-N9OVrNQSGnXRljm0dy8nF1f5O0wTzeKtAtcF9OUSNxF1LwR7udyp6sb8o8WjGX1QK-ENBIIeOC3WI4fsezdV5ysxWLbWyJ7zlaB6qGcK8ibq4dBBJhZCyPcxhSHIsDbn0BLu0HXiwm3-KcazP6GlwtCBgtSTCtZiX_D0o6bUo-PH1nVnr4KQ16hqW_hutQthmt09UshWPEiP6HnnUm2zjctnsB_ItBI4gYYhResfjnmS3GeJp4JIRC7BtHI1OjNGtyEI4cf3xP0E-vfdZmE4jdI8OlcANgOGq2zfm-_IIUJkEvgXQ-qCIe7TsOBl0dQAdnvYhSnbtSzVFFhEKmNawuo3Mt0re61E2eVjNWbQV-=s398-no

This is what happens when you have expectations of people.
I am surprised at how many papers I get at school where the pronoun, I, is not capitalized. That, and an occasional punctuation mark, is something one should reasonably expect, even if folks have trouble with there, their, they're. :grin:

I am surprised at how many papers I get at school where the pronoun, I, is not capitalized. That, and an occasional punctuation mark, is something one should reasonably expect, even if folks have trouble with there, their, they're. :grin:

Were I inclined to correct, there would be multiple red marks on this post. Tut tut.

But yes, I've encountered plenty of students who, halfway through a university degree, still write at a level that I wouldn't have thought acceptable in a junior high school.

Were I inclined to correct, there would be multiple red marks on this post. Tut tut.

But yes, I've encountered plenty of students who, halfway through a university degree, still write at a level that I wouldn't have thought acceptable in a junior high school.
I may not get it right, but I try, damn it. :grin:

With the FB post, the grammar isn't really an issue for me. It is an FB post, not a research paper. Now the students turning in papers where the "I" is not capitalized, that is something else.

With the FB post, the grammar isn't really an issue for me. It is an FB post, not a research paper. Now the students turning in papers where the "I" is not capitalized, that is something else.

And there are many instances and subjects where any use of the first-person is frowned upon.

I think that's a by-product of a generation that grew up texting and instant messaging instead of actually learning how to write. i could be wrong idk lol.

Unless their last name is "cummings".

Theyre is nothing worse than people that dont use punctuation how hard is it to put a period between sentences I never know when to end one sentence and begin the next another thing I hate is when people can't figure out when to use their there and theyre

Seriously though, I don't like that people can't make a proper sentence in a post. It's not like we are cavemen. It's just plain laziness in some cases and ignorance in others.

Theyre is nothing worse than people that dont use punctuation how hard is it to put a period between sentences I never know when to end one sentence and begin the next another thing I hate is when people can't figure out when to use their there and theyre

Seriously though, I don't like that people can't make a proper sentence in a post. It's not like we are cavemen. It's just plain laziness in some cases and ignorance in others.
I can't believe you capitalized "i". Post fail fail. :grin:

Back