Sometimes good stuff just happens.

Ask the school if they need a prematurely embittered history teacher who won't quite accept that the British Empire has ended and an accent that no one will understand :grin: :embarrassed:

The one thing I will say Mark. Don't fall into the trap of looking at your kid at the age he is and saying "he's going to be like this" or "he won't be like that" because you never know exactly what they'll grow in to be and though I'm sure you wouldn't, I've come across plenty of parents who have pushed their kids in some very wrong directions throughout their academic and social life just because of the expectations they created about these kids early on.

If I had a quid for every parent I heard tell me that their kid was going to do maths or physics or whatever at uni (when the kid was obviously not going to succeed) I wouldn't be posting via saudi carrier pigeon just now :embarrassed:

I'm pretty aware of that whole trip as the child of a depression era kid and the only sibling who decided that my Dad's vision of secure mediocrity wasn't for me.

Turns out my siblings didn't get "secure mediocrity" and I didn't end up a rich rock star :embarrassed:

That's seriously great news. I would have benefited with such a school when I was a kid - I found myself often bored since they were always teaching down to the lowest denominator and I was one of those brainy kids who could read with diction when I was barely out of kindergarten.

Oh well, very good deal for your kids and your other kid automatically getting in? How sweet is that?

Last edited:
That's seriously great news. I would have benefited with such a school when I was a kid - I found myself often bored since they were always teaching down to the lowest denominator and I was one of those brainy kids who could read with diction when I was barely out of kindergarten.

Oh well, very good deal for your kids and your other kid automatically getting in? How sweet is that?

My son is that way. If he's not kept busy he starts to drift. He has a little speech intelligibility issue that we've been taking him to classes for this year and when they initially tested him in December (age 4) the speech pathologist told us he had scored into the 9th grade level for vocabulary. He just speaks so fast that he mangles some of his consonant sounds...He's definitely a bright kid. :)

The "in" for our daughter is also a blessing.

That great Mark!..congrats :)

Thanks! :)

That is a great piece of mind. Glad to hear it worked out for you. I have always thought people who are willing to be involved in their kids' education should get a break like that.

Right on, Mark... I went to the Magnet summer school program back in the earky 70s... Cool that is still going...

Back