Something I am looking forward to

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
attending next Saturday.

"The final event of the series on April 12 will be a BBQ and Craft Beer Festival, bringing five of the best barbecue personalities in North America to the CFWI, including ‘Dr. BBQ’ Ray Lampe, executive chef at NYC’s Southern Hospitality BBQ and winner of more than 300 barbecue competitions worldwide."

http://www.naturallyinniagara.ca/articles/new-chef-signature-series-at-niagara-college/7672/

I just got confirmation on my ticket.
I lucked into it this past Saturday while at the Niagara College Seafood Gala.
I was sitting with the CIO and he mentioned that he had an extra ticket.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397343446.584020.jpg

:lol:
I've had gator.
it was good, but crazy expensive.

but it was the ex-wife's Da who was paying, so what the hell, right? :wink:

We will be wanting pics and a detailed report. :embarrassed:
Pics above are all that I got. With everything else served family style, I ended up with scoops and piles of food on my plate.

I tried everything.

The salmon was great. They served on those boards. So, the servers were holding the board while you carved off a piece of fish for yourself. It was cool, but difficult as there wasn't a ton of room.

The lambs tongue was smokey and super tender. Each slice had a thin slice of a tiny pepper on it that gave a nice flavour and just a tiny bit of heat. I have never eaten that nor sweetbreads before, but what the hell, eh? I think I ended up with a chunk of brain and some smoked prosciutto.

The pulled pork was delicious. Collard greens are not a favourite, but these were delicious. The lobster potato salad was amazing - with a super butter sauce.

The sauce on the ribs was awesome, but I found the rack that I had was kinda tough. It was that kind of rib where you really had to bit and pull and some meat was still stuck to the rib. Tasty though.
The server brought the Mac&cheese to the middle of the table and it never made it back to my end. I was pissed.

The brisket and Yorkshire pudding was good. At this point I was pretty full though. So, I just ate the brisket and tasted the Yorkshire. The pickled veg was really good, but I made the mistake of grabbing a little green pepper from the platter.
I figured, "pickled pepper, something like a pepperoncini, right?" So, I pop in my mouth and regret it immediately. It was whole, so the seeds were in it. The heat coated my entire mouth.
It took a whole biscuit and a glass of water to get it under control. I don't know if it was the fact that it was pickled that made it so hot, but it was as bad as the SuperUltimateHotSauce that I had at Pepper Palace.

So, I slowed down at that point.

I had one bite of the goat, not even knowing what it was. It was very tasty and tender. It was cooked in the ground, wrapped in banana leaves.

I had a butter tart for dessert.

Now, the beer:

There were three students from the brewery program that made special brews for the evening and they were competing for a scholarship.

I tired two.
One was called Fumè and was an IPA with a smokey flavour infused into it. It wasn't overly smokey though. Overall, it was avert crisp, refreshing beer. She (the brewer) one the competition.

The other that tried was called The Bloody Ale and it was an IPA that was infused with tomato juice, black pepper, and lemon.
I spoke to the brewer and he took the IPA and the other ingredients and force carbonated them all together. So,it wasn't likes beer cocktail with the stuff just mixed together. It was fully homogenized together. It didn't separate if you let it sit.
I hate tomato juice, but this was amazing beer. I voted for it.

They had a bunch of the brews that are regularly available at the college brewery. A wheat beer that I didn't catch the name - there a really cool vanilla flavour to it, but I had just finished drinking the Bloody Ale, so I'm not sure if my taste buds were playing tricks on me or not.

Then they had their Butler's Bitters, which placed third at the big brewers' awards thing in Colorado this week.
I've had it many times before. I really enjoy it.

I might have missed a few items on the menu, but I'm already planning for next year's Chef Series. I'm going to try and attend all 5.

Back