GPOTD Something from DAG that ISN'T a Tele clone

dougk

b00b
One thing I've noticed over the years at the Montreal Guitar Show is I think some of the best, radical designs for guitars out there have been coming from :gasp: French :gasp!: luthiers (Springer and Christophe Grellier especially). This caught my eye on DAG's website when desperately looking for something that wasn't a damn tele clone.

Now, this is way outside the realm of what I'd play or frankly ever build... but I like it. I like it a lot, a very interesting guitar I think.

Brua Phantom

$6,495.00

DESCRIPTION:
Pierrick Brua is a French luthier working since 1993 in his workshop located in the south of France. He builds archtops and acoustics as well as electrics, and has sent us some photos of his latest electric creation, the Phantom model, with an oil shock absorber on the tremolo system, a neck fixed to the body with rails, an adjustable nut and two Benedetti pickups with a 5 way double wafer selector. The body is swamp ash with a 3 piece flamed maple neck and a 24 fret scalloped fingerboard.

Pierrick’s magnificent creations generate excitement and inspiration in the eye of the beholder and in the mind and hands of the player. Stay tuned for the arrival of Pierrick Brua's guitars. They are unique, advanced and inspired.

PRICING INFO:
- $6,495.00

That is wild and kind of cool.
But I'd never pay that much for a guitar, and I'm not sure I could bring myself to play that in front of people.

The engineer in me loves it, but I'd have to play it to see if I really liked it. The price is way too high for me, though.

It's not my thing, but points for originality...an oil filled shock absorber on the trem is an intriguing concept...

I appreciate the engineering and the desire to try something new.

I really like how the blade is recessed into the contours.

It almost seems like the neck would be too stiff for my tastes, but i'd give it a whirl. I've not been fond of too many necks with aluminum or graphite beams in them for stiffness. I'm in Doug Kauer's line of thinking that the neck should almost have some flex so it will resonate. Some of the ultra stiff necks don't play or sound as good.

Kudos for him breaking the mold though.

It’s definitely interesting, albeit to shreddy for me. But I have to say it…I just don’t think that art deco headstock goes with the body. I’d love to see it one one of his fabulous arch tops, tho.

It makes me feel as if Ken Parker made a Strat and used the Roswell Rhoads headstock.

Back