So what should I do in Paris?

pere lachaise cemetery - I was there in 80s.

jim-morrison-grave-pere-lachaise-cemetery-paris-1985-b.jpg

Huh..Paris.

Last time in Paris was strange...

Some French girl kept calling me Geoff and trying to get me to some concert while I was visiting Avignon.

Second the motion for Musee d'Orsay, and then I'd leave for Provence.

If I were around Paris at night, I'd eat Vietnamese or middle Eastern on the Left Bank and drink too much. Well, honestly, that's just about any city ....

If I were around Paris at night, I'd eat Vietnamese or middle Eastern on the Left Bank and drink too much. Well, honestly, that's just about any city ....
Dogs and goats fear you.

Dogs and goats fear you.

So do some French bartenders. I misbehaved there a bit. Gal pal talked the gendarmes into removing the cuffs and letting me walk home.

Letcha in on a secret: I ain't much on the French. Hot ladies, amazing wine, and a whole bunch of pissy behavior.

Reactions: DFB
Last remark b4 I STFU. If you try and charge me $18 for a shot of American* whiskey, and tell me "what do you expect?" you can expect that glass coming right back at you. Fast.

* - that would be the country that sacrificed several of my relatives to give you your country back, remember that? No? Meet me in Normandy.

You'll look like a tourist regardless.

Not my experience. I've had other Europeans asking me for directions at times, until I spoke and they realized I wasn't French. But walking around with a book in your hand is a solid clue. I guess I don't dress like the average American.

Agree on all of the above except the Vietnamese food. Of course I live in So Cal which now has some of the best Asian food in the world, so I'm a little picky. And my son's mother is Vietnamese, so I've had home cooked Vietnamese food for years now.

Provence is awesome. Some of my favorite wine in the world, esp Chateauneuf du Pape (Clos de Pape).

Step 1: regret you ever went there.
Step 2: go somewhere fun.

Centre Pompidou sometimes has some nice stuff going on, other than that, get yourself a decent bottle of wine to drink at the hill of Sacre Coeur, try not to get pickpocketed and walk around the city for ages to find a nice place to eat where they didn't make a profession out of overcharging naive tourists.

pere lachaise cemetery - I was there in 80s.

jim-morrison-grave-pere-lachaise-cemetery-paris-1985-b.jpg

I rode a bike there and visited Jim's grave. I was somewhat underwhelmed. Not sure what I expected. On the other hand I totally recommend Sleepy Hollow Cemetery in Concord Mass.

Reactions: Tig
I like the musee du quai Branly, which is relatively new and just round the corner from the big scaffolding tower thing.

csm_AZTEC_hotel_13_0d75f269a1.gif

Not my experience. I've had other Europeans asking me for directions at times, until I spoke and they realized I wasn't French. But walking around with a book in your hand is a solid clue. I guess I don't dress like the average American.
I remember you that day.
french-person.jpg

:helper:

OK, maybe not LOOK like a tourist (for some people), but as soon as you open your mouth, it's going to be obvious. My point is, you ARE a tourist, don't spend too much time worrying about people thinking you're a tourist. You're not really going to be able to pass as a native anyway.

Last remark b4 I STFU. If you try and charge me $18 for a shot of American* whiskey, and tell me "what do you expect?" you can expect that glass coming right back at you. Fast.

* - that would be the country that sacrificed several of my relatives to give you your country back, remember that? No? Meet me in Normandy.

Ugh.

OK, maybe not LOOK like a tourist (for some people), but as soon as you open your mouth, it's going to be obvious. My point is, you ARE a tourist, don't spend too much time worrying about people thinking you're a tourist. You're not really going to be able to pass as a native anyway.

Yes, hence my recommendation to walk around with a Rick Steve's guide.

Back