So what pickups do they use in high end archtops?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
This is kind of a rhetorical question since many of the Gibsons are just PAF style humbuckers but I'm curious what you guys come up with. I know some guys use Bartolini pickups.

Lollar Imperial
Classic '56
DiMarzio Anniversary 36
Kinman Extra Vintage
Seymour Duncan SH-1
Benedetto A6 or B6

Really, though... I don't want to keep stressing this over and over and over again... But I really think that you'd be happier working with some kind of a telecaster. You've been frustrated with the Gibson since early on, and I don't think that a pickup change will solve that. You might get odd looks for a week or two, but that will dissipate quickly if you sound great, and if you articulate your feelings on the matter.

Lollar Imperial
Classic '56
DiMarzio Anniversary 36
Kinman Extra Vintage
Seymour Duncan SH-1
Benedetto A6 or B6

Really, though... I don't want to keep stressing this over and over and over again... But I really think that you'd be happier working with some kind of a telecaster. You've been frustrated with the Gibson since early on, and I don't think that a pickup change will solve that. You might get odd looks for a week or two, but that will dissipate quickly if you sound great, and if you articulate your feelings on the matter.
I'm pretty much using my solid bodies from now on. This isn't the best ever but a big improvement over the sound I was getting with the Epiphone. I'm playing the 454 through my DV Jazz amp:

The favorite pickup on the Heritage Owners Club forum is the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover. Throbaks get a lot of love there, as do Lollar Imperials, Fralin P92's, and HRW's. HRW's were built to Ren Wall's specs at Heritage. They were either custom Schallers or modified Schaller Golden 50's. Ren won't tell anyone what the secret to those pickups are. But they are very sought after in the Jazz world.

Benedetto, Seth Lover, Antiquities. Pretty much any PAF that isn't potted. I also read that Metheny liked the Ibanez Super 70. Single coil is a different beast and I've only tried a few but I liked the Charlie Christian.

I also had a hollow tele with a Duncan 59 in the neck...sounded great for jazz/blooz tones.

Back