So what do we think of Splawn amps?

cvogue

Yes, that's Oolong. :)
First I must hearken back to the HCGF days when some guy who was touting Splawn amps kept boasting about his megabucks corporate gigs and how great he was... then I guess he posted himself playing Little Wing and it wasn't so hot... D'oh!!! SplawnDarts I think he called himself?

Never mind, I digress...

Had a guest guitarist at practice last night, he had a Splawn 50 watt Supersport head playing through a little Marshall 1x12 cab. Distortion sounds were great, very hotrodded Marshall kinds of tones. I have no idea how the thing sounds clean though. He was kind of incapable of playing clean, he likes his gain...

Anyway, anyone have experience with Splawns? How versatile are they? They aren't cheap but they are reasonable considering what you get I think...

What say you?!

There was also the infamous picture of him and his Splawn 1/2 stack and some kind of upper end guitar (can't remember what it was now, maybe a historic LP or something) playing at what looked like a tiny little pizza joint...and there was a music stand in front of him.

There was also the infamous picture of him and his Splawn 1/2 stack and some kind of upper end guitar (can't remember what it was now, maybe a historic LP or something) playing at what looked like a tiny little pizza joint...and there was a music stand in front of him.

I had that pic on an old computer. It was awesome.

540e1178388b90a1906034e0af910418.jpg

Here's mine....it sounds absolutely monstrous. The newer models have a very good clean channel, it's actually pretty powerful.
I'm not a fan of the all Chinese tubes that come stock in the amp
So I already replaced the preamp with choices from my NOS collection. Power tubes are getting swapped next week. The power tubes are giving me issues already with the volume fluctuation thing and I've only had the amp 2 1/2 months.
But otherwise it's a great amp if you're looking for hot rodded tones.

I would love to try a nitro. I hear they are too bassy but then I hear they are sweet too so I would like to judge for myself.

the quickrod looks awesome. I hear the clean isn't that great but you don't buy that amp for the cleans.

hand made in the USA and you can get them used for cheap - what is not to love?

I would love to try a nitro. I hear they are too bassy but then I hear they are sweet too so I would like to judge for myself.

the quickrod looks awesome. I hear the clean isn't that great but you don't buy that amp for the cleans.

hand made in the USA and you can get them used for cheap - what is not to love?
My Quickrod has the mid cut switch which voices the amp closer to the nitro. Both settings are capable of killer tone.
My amp also has the "Drop B+" mod as well as the "old/new" switch.

I tend to stay away from companies that post religious affiliations on their websites. I'm sure he makes fantastic amplifiers.

Yup. I was interested until I saw that. But back then I didn't have much money anyway. Post-new house I don't either... :grin:

I tend to stay away from companies that post religious affiliations on their websites. I'm sure he makes fantastic amplifiers.
I personally don't care about that stuff...I only care that I it's a great amp. To each his own....
Just don't come knocking on my door with it....

I personally don't care about that stuff...I only care that I it's a great amp. To each his own....
Just don't come knocking on my door with it....

I'm in sales. Nobody needs to know my religious affiliation, and it isn't plastered on my promotional literature. I expect the same from the companies I buy from. That's the totality of it. Like I said, I'm sure he makes great amps. I'm not likely to buy a modded Marshall, but if I were, I would look elsewhere.

I'm in sales. Nobody needs to know my religious affiliation, and it isn't plastered on my promotional literature. I expect the same from the companies I buy from. That's the totality of it. Like I said, I'm sure he makes great amps. I'm not likely to buy a modded Marshall, but if I were, I would look elsewhere.
I'm not disagreeing with you....the last thing I want is somebody shoving their religious beliefs down my throat too. I don't go around throwing my beliefs at others either but I guess it just doesn't bother me that he puts his out there...

I'm changing my power tubes this coming week....I have heard that on the inside of his amps he writes a bible verse...
You know
Philippians 7:23....or something

We shall see....

Last edited:
I have heard that on the inside of his amps he writes a bible verse...
You know
Philippians 7:23....or something

We shall see....

I once owned a THD Univalve.

They wrote Frank Zappa quotes on their pcbs.

Mine said "Shut up and play your guitar!"
I kind of wish I'd kept that amp.

Last edited:
he writes that on the inside of the amps. I don't think most people would really have seen it unless it got posted on the internet, the average player never removes the amp from its headshell. I guess to me it doesn't seem like it would make any difference at all. its not like can be seen unless you take apart the amp.

Michael Sweet from Stryper, his tone was to die for, when I saw them in concert a couple of weeks ago. I guess he uses Splawn amps.

Back