So we're watching Citizen Kane in Film Studies Class

subjective opinion is subjective.

I'd love for someone to explain to me why it's so great.

Arguably the most innovative film ever made (w/r/t narrative, design, cinematography, sound, special-effects, make-up, etc.), arguably the most influential film ever made (consider simply the visual influence of Kane on everything from film noir to comic books), and overwhelming critical consensus.

What, then, is the greatest film of all time? Allow me to explain why you are wrong.

My personal favorites are Chinatown, Miller's Crossing, and The Third Man.

Unless you're talking about "it's a rainy day, I've got a head cold and a runny nose, I'm cranky, I want to lie on the couch, wrap myself in a blanket, eat popsicles, and watch a movie that I know is bound to cheer me up" kind of movie, in which case I'd probably go with something more like Singin' in the Rain, Groundhog Day, A Fish Called Wanda, The Bandwagon, Rushmore, etc.

My personal favorites are Chinatown, Miller's Crossing, and The Third Man.

Unless you're talking about "it's a rainy day, I've got a head cold and a runny nose, I'm cranky, I want to lie on the couch, wrap myself in a blanket, eat popsicles, and watch a movie that I know is bound to cheer me up" kind of movie, in which case I'd probably go with something more like Singin' in the Rain, Groundhog Day, A Fish Called Wanda, The Bandwagon, Rushmore, etc.

See, I can't do it for you because you chose good movies. I was expecting Peeker to go with The Rocky Horror Picture Show, :embarrassed:

My personal favorites are Apocalypse Now, The Iron Giant*, and Blade Runner.

*Why yes, I did just list an animated kids(?) movie as one of the greatest of all time. Suck it.

Last edited:
I enjoy some of those quirky british movies too, "Waking Ned Divine" and "Saving Grace" are examples.

Back