So we're watching Citizen Kane in Film Studies Class

Kelly

24 Steel Wheels of Shoegaze
I just might be the only person besides the teacher who knows what Rosebud is.

Also, Fucking brilliant movie.

I'm not sure any more about Citizen Kane being a classic movie.
It's black and white, missing a few colors, even missing Canadian colours.
No, it's not a great movie any more. I think Waterworld is deeper.

Totally awesome trivia fact: Citizen Kane contains more special effects shots than the original '77 Star Wars.

I'm a big Welles fan. It might be something of a genetic thing; one of my favorite cousins is a Toronto chef, his restaurants are called Rosebud and The Citizen.

Gary Giddins said:
For here is the crux of the Welles conundrum, boiled down to one question: Which is the more impressive feat? A gifted young man is given a film studio, its technicians, and almost unlimited funds to make any movie he desires, and he comes up with Citizen Kane. A mature, experienced, stubbornly individual artist in middle age, working with little more than rent money and spit, makes Chimes at Midnight.

Last edited:
Citizen Kane deserves every single accolade it has ever received, and then some.

I'm not sure any more about Citizen Kane being a classic movie.
It's black and white, missing a few colors, even missing Canadian colours.
No, it's not a great movie any more. I think Waterworld is deeper.

Someone should donate John Watt to science.

You should totally ruin it for the whole class by pointing out that nobody else was in the room when he uttered his last word.

It's probably my favorite film, and has been since MY film class, which was about 124 years ago. Or at least it seems that long.

well...

I didn't care for it at all.
I thought it was vastly over-rated, and boring as all fuck.

but, there ya go:)

(I do still own in on vhs though)

The cool/strange/paradoxical thing is that you could make a very convincing argument that Kane is not Welles's best movie, neither as filmmaker nor as actor.

And yet, yeah, it is totally deserving of its "greatest film of all-time" reputation, and the other ones wouldn't be.

I absolutely refuse to watch The Human Centipede. Won't do it. There's a line somewhere, and for me, that crossed it.

Back